Oxygen absorbing caps vs standard caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun_Tiger33

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing and I was going to get some custom caps made and I wanted to know more about the oxygen absorbing caps. Do those of you who still use bottles use them or just use the standard caps? I don't plan on letting my beer condition for more than 3 weeks while in the bottles. So what I'm wondering is are oxy caps worth the extra money?

You don´t need them. When bottling put a regular cap on top of your filled bottled and leave it there for a little while, fermentation will start and the empty space in your bottle neck will get filled with co2, cap it them and forget it. And if your beer is not going to last more than three weeks that propably means that you are going to drinking it while still green, 3 weeks in bottles is usually recommended as the MINIMUM time for the bottles to condition, some brew may take longer to be ready.
PLus oxygen tabs are a little harder to handle if you wet them you activate them... if you do like me and put them in a little star san they wouldn´t serve their purpouse anymore.

I've been using the oxy-caps for years, they're the only kind I buy. I don't sterilize them, just invert the bottle once they're capped to activate. I've never had a problem with any of my beers/bottles even after long aging, so I figure they're worth a few pennies more. YMMV

I've been using the oxy-caps for years, they're the only kind I buy. I don't sterilize them, just invert the bottle once they're capped to activate. I've never had a problem with any of my beers/bottles even after long aging, so I figure they're worth a few pennies more. YMMV

Is not that I´m anal about my beer but I´ve always consider the fact of not been able to sanitize oxygen caps properly a big minus, I think I will buy some an try them side by side with a high gravity brew, bad thing is that I have to wait a long time before I have some results.

I remember reading an interview with the manufacturer a while back. The oxygen caps get activated when wet, but the O2 absorbing process is slow (hours/days) so you can sanitize as normal.

So oxygen caps are for aging and regular caps are for drinking after a couple of weeks

Back