Japanese Brewery (Kirin) Totaled in Earthquake (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Kirin Brewery location in Sendai obliterated by earthquake and tsunami. I pulled these pics from various news stories. Map link is from Kirin web site.

Satellite map of brewery

japbrw3.JPG

japbrw.JPG

japbrw2.JPG

Here is a list of Japanese craft breweries and their effects. I was specifically looking at Hitachino Nest (only one I've tried, makes some good beers) which has damage to the Sake brewery but not the beer brewery. They are currently bottling water.

EDIT: I wonder if those toppled cylinders are the ones that were empty and the full ones stayed upright?

those kegs and cans should be fine I would just let them a sit for a little while before drinking them, but I would be looting the crap out of this area if I was there just so I could have some clean drinking water/caloric intake

That's terrible. However, I'm sure most of you know the Kirin we get here is brewed here in the States by AB. So no one need to worry about a Kirin shortage.

Rev.

More importantly, how many people were hurt there?

Because of the extent of the damage from the first 2 disasters, and the chaos that continues with the release of radioactivity from Fukushima Daiichi reactors, it will be a while before that type of question is answered accurately.

[edit] in a not-so-surprising turn of events, Godzilla was just spotted emerging from a nearby mountain and moving south towards Tokyo.

Oh great. Now that's all they need. He'll stomp the city flat,& drink all the beer that's left. Then chuck the empties at supply ships.:D

. . . . . . . looting the crap out of this area if I was there just so I could have some clean drinking water/caloric intake

When the earthquake/tsunami/nuclear meltdown happens in California the gangs will take over any food or beverage facilities and will be extorting desperate starving and thirsty people out of their life savings or anything else they determine is of value for said sustenance. We can only hope that it cracks at the san andreas so we can just put up a big fence around the newly formed Island and turn it into "Penitentiary Islifornia" . . . . . . It's our only hope.

Airborneguy said:
If that reactor has a meltdown, Godzilla definitely won't be far behind!

Sidenote: google analytics found a huge increase in searches for godzilla as the reactor situation unfolded.

Shame about the earthquake and any people killed or hurt but I won't miss Kirin not being on any shelfs. It's just another lager. :)

Back