Lager is still fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moundbrewer

Reaction score
I have my first batch of Octoberfest Lager in the primary. This is a brew kit from Midwest. I brewed it 12 days ago and have had it in a 52 deg area. It has been bubbling the whole time. On the 10th day I moved it to a 65 deg. area for a diacetyl rest and it has been there 2 days. It is still bubbling about every 3-4 seconds. Should I let it continue fermenting? or should I rack it to the secondary and get it into the lagering temperature?

Patience!!!

Leave it. Let the yeast do what they do best. Make alcohol. I would put it back at the 52^ and leave it until they are done. May take a while.

I just did a pilsner. In the primary for 4 weeks at 50^F. The bubble rate wasn't much, but I could see a layer of foam on top so I knew it was still going. When the foam was pretty much gone I racked to the secondary.

Lagers take much longer than ales. My Schwarzbier took 27 days to ferment. The Black Ale made from the same wort, took 5.

I moved it back to the cool area. I'll let it do it's thing. Did I mess it up by moving it into the warmer area? or will it be OK? Thanks for the help!

Back