Cloudy or clear?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktrenta

Reaction score
Is there a reason, other than aesthetics, for clearing a cider? Is there a difference in taste?

Is there a reason, other than aesthetics, for clearing a cider? Is there a difference in taste?

I think its mainly aesthetics. If you use cloudy cider, use pectic enzyme to break down the pectins. Do so before pitching yeast, but long after you add camden tablets. The latter assumes its not pasteurized.

Thank you for the response. I personally don't mind it, so i will probably forgo clarifying if it won't make a difference in taste.

Well, the issue I have with bottling cloudy cider is that as you let it sit and age, all that stuff can fall out of suspension and you end up with a pile of sludge on the bottom of the bottles. At least that has been my experience. I also noticed that when pouring the cider, if any of the sludge got into the glass it affected the flavor (and not in a good way). It very well could just be my process and not anything to do with the clarity of the cider, but I went a ahead and used pectic enzyme for this year's batch.

Back