Greek Mythology Themed Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
So I was thinking about making up a brew using Zeus hops and figured why not call it Zeus and try to make a style fitting. I figure something like a strong golden old ale on oak using just Zeus hops (maybe Olympic too). In thinking of this I ended up coming up with a few others with the same thinking and decided why not make a series of them. This is what I came up with so far:

Zeus: Golden oak strong/old ale w/zeus hops
Ares: Strong red ale w/ Zeus, Tomahawk, and Warrior hops
Dionysus: Strong purple (boil some berries for color only) barleywine w/ zeus and other hops (not sure what). Possibly add grapes or wine somehow.
Apollo: Strong golden wheat or wit w/zeus and sun hops
Elysian Fields: Strong Golden Belgian w/ Zeus and citrusy hops
River Styx: Dark and thick

Any suggestions or changes?

PS: Ares, dionysus, and apollo have zeus and other hops because they're his children

I just made a sweet oat stout I named River Styx. I name all of my beers along the lines of fantasy: "The Cloaked Wizard Brewery".

PS... there are Orion Hops out there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find them. As someone with an Orion tattoo, I'd really like to get my hands on some.

No goddesses?

Your Apollo beer would be much better for Demeter.

Don't forget the heroes (Heracles, Theseus, etc.)

Post all the names when your done. Cool idea! (Although I may be biased--I'm a classicist ;))

There is this restaurant (My Big Fat Greek Restaurant) that just moved into town who is doing this. They have an Apollo and a Zeus. Neither of which are any good.

Cool idea...I think you should model Dionysus after Midas Touch...with saffron and honey and maybe muscat grape juice. That's sort of what you wanted with the wine/grapes. High ABV and a little sweet.

Also, the Hellespont could be the name of a Helles if you lagering facilities.
-Jefe-

Good idea on the Midas Touch. I didn't like the commercial one, but I might be able to take some aspects from the brew.

I brewed this one up last year:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/king-gods-ipa-131848/

Niko sells some Apollo hops: http://www.nikobrew.com/

Sweet, good to know that a good brew can be made with mostly Zeus hops. I hadn't used them yet but that one sounds like what I was expecting. Had no idea there was Apollo hops, shame my LHBS doesn't have them.

I just made a sweet oat stout I named River Styx. I name all of my beers along the lines of fantasy: "The Cloaked Wizard Brewery".

Oat stout was exactly what I was thinking, but couldn't think of how to better tie it into the mythology.

No goddesses?

Your Apollo beer would be much better for Demeter.

Don't forget the heroes (Heracles, Theseus, etc.)

Post all the names when your done. Cool idea! (Although I may be biased--I'm a classicist ;))

I agree on Demeter, but at this point I was just looking at Zeus and his kids so I went with Apollo. Any suggestions on the goddesses? I couldn't think of a fitting brew for them. Best I could think of was a maple brown/porter for Artemis but wasn't sure if it fit. I was trying to think of ones for Heracles, but couldn't think of what to do different than the Ares one.

There is this restaurant (My Big Fat Greek Restaurant) that just moved into town who is doing this. They have an Apollo and a Zeus. Neither of which are any good.

hopefully I don't have the same problem

I agree on Demeter, but at this point I was just looking at Zeus and his kids so I went with Apollo. Any suggestions on the goddesses? I couldn't think of a fitting brew for them. Best I could think of was a maple brown/porter for Artemis but wasn't sure if it fit. I was trying to think of ones for Heracles, but couldn't think of what to do different than the Ares one.

Well, Demeter is Zeus's sister.

And Heracles is Zeus's son, too. The Heracles one should be a strong, rustic ale. He was the hero for the common, country man. A good farmhouse?

For Apollo and Artemis, it would be cool if you could come up with a pair of similar recipes (they're twins). But Artemis is supposed to represent the wilderness and Apollo the sophisticated city life. Maybe a nice mellow ale with some oakiness for Apollo and a brett version for Artemis.

Ares could be a red ale. He is the god of warfighting, hand-to-hand combat, that kind of thing. Your strong red will be perfect.

Athena, a daughter of Zeus, is the goddess of strategy, armies, etc., as well as skilled crafts. So your most complex recipe would work for her.

Nice concept. Good luck.

Wow you're good :mug:
I like how this is coming along and it's letting me cover a lot of different styles. What do you think about a porter with a good amount of toasted pale malt along with some roasted stuff for Prometheus?

I've been thinking of a beer line on Greek history.

The real difference is I want to make individual brews referring to Ulysses' travels back home after the Trojan War, like where he stopped and who he encountered type thing. A nice way to get drunk and teach history at the same time...great use of trivia on deckels (coaster) and such...:D

Something like a "Tales of Brave Ulysses" line (just a working name/label right now...don't want to infringe on Cream's song of the same title)...:mug:

I'm certain I can come up with at least 50 brew titles.;)

Wow you're good :mug:
I like how this is coming along and it's letting me cover a lot of different styles. What do you think about a porter with a good amount of toasted pale malt along with some roasted stuff for Prometheus?

:mug: It's rare that I can combine my degree in classics and homebrewing ;)

That's a really good idea for Prometheus.

What about Hades and Poseidon, the brothers of Zeus? Hades, as the lord of the shades, could be a nice light, but black, dry stout. Poseidon...hmmm...maybe a dark, malty ale, like a wee heavy. He is god of storms, after all.

What about Aphrodite, the goddess of sex? hmmm.....an imperial pilsner? Something that looks light but packs a punch, in other words.

Unfortunately, I can't lager so the imperial pilsner for Aphrodite doesn't work for me. What do you think about an imperial blonde with heather tips instead?

I like the other two ideas though, especially the Poseidon one since I was clueless on that. Would it be a bad idea to combine Cerberus and Hades and do a pitch black Tripel?

ok I think I got the ideas down for all of these finally and most of the recipes to boot. I'll post the recipes once the list is finalized, but here's what currently I'm looking at for the series:

Zeus: Oak aged Golden IIPA
Ares: Imperial Amber Ale
Dionysis: American Barleywine
Aphrodite: Imperial Blonde heather ale
Posieden: Wee heavy
Demeter: Imperial Wit ( https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/greek-mythology-series-demeter-163458/ )
Athena: Vanilla Bourbon Steam Doppelbock
Hades: Black Quad
Apollo: Belgian IIPA
Artemis: Belgian IIPA w/ bretts
Elysian Fields: Strong Golden belgian
River Styx: Oatmeal Stout
Prometheus: Toasted porter
Heracles: Saison
Edit: Hera: ESB

Ideally, adding Cronus, Rhea, and/or Perseus would be nice, but I'm clueless at the moment. None of the ideas are set in stone, so I'm welcome to any suggestions.

Being Portuguese i actually thought of making Ancient Lusitanian Mythology themed beers. I don't have the convenience of Lusitan-named hops, but theres still some ways to make it work.

Your Posieden should a seaweed infused stout, like Kelpie. Perseus always seemed a bit clueless with the Gods help to me, so maybe a (dumb) Blond Ale.

Cool idea. There is a brewery in Seattle that has mythology themed beers, but I like some of your names (and styles that match them) better. The brewery does have great beer though...

Huh, the website is down now, but the name of the brewery is Elysian Brewing.

ok since Hera is always jealous and vengeful I think I'm going with an ESB (extra spiteful b****) for her.

thanks for the props and help. unless I hear any objections to matches, I'm going to mull over these recipes for a few days and then start posting them so I can get started on this series.

Back