cooking with homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeantownR6

Reaction score
so ive heard how good homebrew is when you cook with it. i soaked some bratwurst in a brown ale i made for 24 hrs, they were so tasty.

where is the cooking recipe section? lets here some bbq recipes!

I love cooking with beer - homebrew or not. I often find myself experimenting with different combinations. Most recently some chicken sausage slow cooked, simmered in Andygator Doppelbock from Abita Brewing - absolutely delicious.

I use my old Mr beer fermenter for making small batches with left over grains especially for cooking. I bottle it without priming sugar, minimal hops, pay little attention to any kind of recipe and it's still very drinkable! :D

One of my favorite comfort foods in the winter time is Velveeta Beer Soup. Just look up the recipe on the Internet for the Velveeta soup and replace the water with beer. Best tasting types of beer in the Velveeta soup: stout, IPA, APA.

I saute sliced onion and bell pepper in butter, then add a few pints of beer along with addl butter and black pepper, partially cook some brats on the grill and toss em into the beer/butter/onions&peppers, simmer for about 30-45 min to finish cooking and serve on a fresh crusty french bread with the onions and peppers on top, damn fantastic!!

i would like that recipe :mug:

It was pretty normal in respect to risotto. I threw in half an onion, half a green bell pepper and some mushrooms because I needed to get rid of them. Risotto makes great refrigerator velcro.

-Sautee onion, pepper and mushroom in 2 tbl butter and 2 tbl olive oil. Season with salt and pepper
-Add 1c arborio rice and sautee for ~2min
-Continue making risotto in normal fashion (add in 1c, cook until liquid is absorbed, add in 1c...etc), but replace 1 cup of chicken stock with a lighter, low hopped beer. I used a mild, but anything would work that is malty, or even dry like tripel or saison.
-When risotto is finished, add 1/2 to 1 cup of fresh grated Parmigiano Peggiano (must be the real stuff!!!).

Have done some baking with homebrew.
Last thing i did was rolls. When they were hot, You could get more than a hint of the beer.
After they cooled...They were damn good, but seemed the beer was barely there.
Still dont mean that the beer didnt help to flavor it some, but chedder and garlic can hide beer quite easy.

I made this beer cheese soup recipe for the 4th of July. It was amazing! Very rich.

Beer Cheese Soup
1.5 cup minced carrots
1.5 cup minced onion
1.5 cup minced celery
5 cloves garlic, pressed
2 sticks butter (1 cup)
6 cups chicken broth
24 oz. light beer (2 12-fl oz beers)
1/3 corn starch (more if needed)
2 cups cream
5 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
2 cups monterey jack, grated
2 T. dry mustard
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 T. hot sauce
Pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste

Directions
1. Mince carrots, onions, celery and garlic using a food processor if available
2. Heat LARGE pot on medium with butter, minced vegetables and garlic and sautee
3. Add chicken broth, beer and corn starch (premix corn starch with liquid for best results)
4. Heat to boiling, then reduce to low and simmer for 45 minutes
5. Heat cream in a separate saucepan on medium
6. On medium-low gradually add cheese and stir constantly. Make sure heat is not too high, because it will break down cheese.
7. Once all the cheese has been added to cream, and broth mixture is done simmering and has thickened, add cheese mixture gradually
8. Lastly add dry mustard, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt, pepper and other seasonings of your choice...and stir!

When my RIS is done I plan on making this BBQ Sauce

Stout BBQ Sauce
prep time : 30 minutes to one hour
recipe type: BBQ, mops and marinades
ingredients: 3 oz. Peanut Oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
2 chipotle chilis with adobo sauce, chopped
1 med Spanish Onion, peeled and diced
2 Red Bell Peppers, roasted & diced
2 12 oz. bottles stout
6 oz Raspberry Vinegar
2 oz Liquid Hickory Smoke
3 oz. molasses
3 oz. dark brown sugar
4 oz. corn syrup, clear
2 cups demiglace (reduction of beef stock)
1 oz. shallots, peeled and minced
2 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
2 oz. Dijon Mustard
Heat the oil in a 4 quart pot, then add the onions, roasted peppers and chipotles; sauté for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat. Add the stout and reduce by one half; add the raspberry vinegar and reduce again by one half. Add the demiglace, shallots, thyme, molasses, brown sugar, clear corn syrup and liquid smoke; reduce further until mixture forms a thick glaze, then add mustard and salt & pepper to taste. Brush on ribs in the final 20 minutes of cooking.
(Note: sugary glaze will flare up under direct flame, so this is best for indirect cooking.)

Grilled Pork Satay with IPA Peanut Sauce
prep time : Advance prep required
recipe type: appetizers - plated
ingredients: 2 lbs. pork rump or boned country ribs
1 cup IPA
1/2 cup unsweetened peanut butter (creamy)
1 cup light coconut milk
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons crystallized ginger
1 lemongrass stalk, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon red Thai bird peppers, minced
8-inch skewers, soaked in water
1. Trim the pork of excess fat, and cube into bite-sized chunks, about 1 to 1 1/2 inches square. Place meat between two layers of plastic wrap or parchment paper. Flatten slightly with a cleaver or rolling pin. Remove wrap, and place in a gallon-sized zip seal bag or a shallow, nonreactive dish.

Mix IPA, peanut butter, coconut milk, cilantro, ginger, lemongrass, garlic and chilis in a bowl, and whisk - or blend in a blender. Reserve 1/2 cup of this sauce in a glass dish and seal with plastic wrap.

3. Pour remaining sauce over the meat and seal the bag. Shake to coat evenly with marinade, then chill both the sauce and meat mixture overnight. Or, place in dish, stir well to coat the meat, and cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.

4. Thread 4-5 chunks of pork on each skewer, piercing through the flattest portion so meat will lie flat on grill. Grill over medium-hot heat for 7-10 minutes, turning often. Cooking time varies with thickness of meat, but internal temperature should reach 150F. Serve as appetizer with more IPA and the reserved dipping sauce. Serves six.

Beer Bread - Easy and quick. Just remember "3-3-1".

3 cups of Self Rising flour
3 tbs of sugar
1 12oz beer (your choice of style)

In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and flour. Add beer and continue to mix, first using a wooden spoon, then your hands. Batter will be sticky. Pour into a 9 x 5 inch greased loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 for 60 minutes. The top will be crunchy, and the insides will be soft.

It will come out with a hard crust and soft insides. Great with soaps and stew because you can dunk the bread in it. Try this with different styles of beer for a different taste.

I used a couple bottles of my wheat ale in some chili a while ago, may have been the best batch of chili I've ever made (and, therefore, the best batch of chili the world has ever seen:D)

Sear off ~ 1 pound of diced chuck in a pot w/ some vegetable oil, then remove it and set aside. Add 1 medium onion (diced) and one or two bell peppers, and cook those babies WAY down. Add the meat back in w/ ~1.5 bottles of beer (any nice flavorful beer works, so does cheap crappy beer), 1 can of tomatoes, a couple of chipotles(diced up really really small). Season to taste w/ cumin powder.

Then just let that glorious concoction simmer down. I takes a couple hours to get rid of all the water from the beer and tomatoes, and get that chuck to the point that it melts in your mouth. Add beans (if you want) about 15 mins before serving. It's great, the better the beer, the better the chili!

Oh, and don't use chili powder. That's cheating:D

Yeah, I almost forgot about the beer bread! I did beer cheese soup and beer bread. It was amazing!

Picture_001_Medium_.jpg

Beer Bread - Easy and quick. Just remember "3-3-1".

3 cups of Self Rising flour
3 tbs of sugar
1 12oz beer (your choice of style)

In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and flour. Add beer and continue to mix, first using a wooden spoon, then your hands. Batter will be sticky. Pour into a 9 x 5 inch greased loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 for 60 minutes. The top will be crunchy, and the insides will be soft.

It will come out with a hard crust and soft insides. Great with soaps and stew because you can dunk the bread in it. Try this with different styles of beer for a different taste.

I'm about to do this with my Witbier. Sounded too good not to try!

I use beer instead of water in my chili. For my last batch I used my brown ale and was one of the best batches of chili I've made. I don't know if it was the beer, but something really went right.

Beer Pancakes and Waffles

Just substitute beer for the the water or milk in the pancake/waffle mix. Proceed normally after that. It makes a lighter fluffier pancake or waffle.

Who says beer isn't for breakfast anymore?

just about anything grilled at my place also gets a splash of beer when it gets flipped, my father in law taught me that and I have been doing it ever since. Wife and I love a nice rack of lamb cut into chops, sprinkled with salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and given a splash of homebrewed pale ale every 2 minutes when they get flipped, 2 minutes over high heat (real hardwood charcoal please) flip for another 2 minutes, then flip and rotate (for the grillmarks)for 2 minutes, flip one last time for a total time of 8 minutes and serve with a pint of ale, and a lemon wedge to squeeze over the lamb, usually get about 8 chops from a costco or sams club rack, serve with a side of roasted garlic and romano cheese mashed potatoes made with heavy cream and butter.

Back