Beersmith/Candi Sugar question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Camel

Reaction score
Hi all,

I added 2 pounds of Hard Candi sugar to a recent brew and am trying to figure out the abv in Beersmith. The extract potential for the Candi sugars is 36ppg, where all the other dry sugars is 46ppg. Is the Candi sugar listed in beersmith a syrup? Or is there some other reason why Candi sugar is less fermentable than say, raw brown sugar?

If it is a syrup, and I made my own rock candi, can I just use 44-46 ppg as a guesstimate for the extract yield?

Thanks in advance

36 ppg sounds more like what candi syrup provides, I believe the rocks should be very similar to the gravity contribution of sugar ~42 ppg.

That said, why not just go by your measured OG? That will be much more accurate for alcohol determination than the calculated gravity. Or did you add the sugar to the fermenter after fermentation started?

That's what I did, I waited until primary ferment was done and then bunged it in, I didn't want to make the yeast lazy with so much easy sugar lying around.

In retrospect I could have sampled and measured before and after adding to assess the contribution but I didn't want to risk contamination.

Thanks

Back