Yet another MLT build thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowstick

Reaction score
This is my MLT there are many like it but this one is mine.
Here is my ball valve setup only I did use the gromet that came with the cooler. In this order.
Parts list goes like this.
1/2 in to 1/2 in male barb
Ball Valve
7/8 in washer
O ring
1/2 by 2 inch nipple (he he)
Cooler Gromet
7/8 in washer cut to fit
1/2 in to 1/2 in female barb

93073a754542.jpg

Then the Manifold.
1/2 in SS Braid by 6 ft.
5x 1/2 in tees
All SS hose clamps.

989875bda203.jpg

It was a PITA to build the manifold. I bled, got poked several times by loose SS Braid frayed ends. But in the end it was well worth the blood and home brew and time.

Thank you to all the inspiration from everyone that posted theirs and gave me ideas.

have you tired it yet? I made something very similar and used on my first AG yesterday. After vigorous stirring during dough in I don't think braid was on the bottom of grain bed and I kept getting small particles into wort no matter how much I recirculated.

I just tested with water. It stayed on the bottom. But that was with no stirring. I wont be giving it a proper test for another 2 weeks, Ive got an IPA rolling in my carboy I have to wait till thats done. Ill let you know how it works out.

The grain got under mine when breaking up the dough balls; don't know if that had anything to do with the particles coming through or not as it was my first AG.

It took about 2.5 hours to build. I didnt have a good quality wire/tin snips so I had to use a small pair of wire cutters. I was going off of palmers water flow guide. I wanted to get the best water flow that I could and didnt want to drill or cut a bunch of holes in some copper.

I cut mine with a Dremel cutting disk; it worked pretty well. I see your outlet tube connects to the far side of your loop and comes back under the near side. Is there a reason for that? I may need to change mine.

It also adds another place to drain out wort. So if you look at Palmers book and check out the flow rates it equals out where the wort is being drained off so theres less pull on the grain bed.

So it worked out very well. Grain bed set nicely, manifold stayed in place. Im gonna have to work on my vorlauf.

Back