Hops clash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KerryD

Reaction score
Can't say I know much about this yet... I'm doing a kind krystal wheat attempt and the brewery says they use Perle as a bittering hop and liberty as a flavoring hop. Of course the IBU's are light... 18-20...

Question.. I don't have Perle and was going to sub Cascade for bittering and then use the Liberty as late addition... Anybody see a problem?

I have had good luck with Cascade in Witbiers for both bittering and flavor/aroma. I don't brew German wheats, but I don't think you'll have a problem using it for bittering. If you want to minimize the Cascade character, just add it at 90 minutes - the extra half hour will help boil off most of the aroma and flavor compounds.

In the future, you may consider buying a pound of a clean, flavor-neutral bittering hop like Magnum, Warrior, Horizon or Galena and use it for all of your beers. It'll save you money in the long run if you can store it properly (preferably vacuum sealed in a freezer)

probably won't taste bad but perle hops have about double the AA that cascade does.

Thanks, Guys!

Beersmith says I'm at 21 IBU's so that should work for the style.

Back