Old Rennet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got milk to make cheese into. I need to use it soon, but I didn't realize that my rennet might be kind of old. I must have bought it 2-3 years ago.

So I'm going to try using it tonight, but I wondered if I should double the amount or something. I figure I have nothing to lose, but I want to have the best possible chance of getting it right.

It's liquid rennet I've kept in the fridge.

Ok, well I went ahead and used what I had. I used 50% more than the recipe calls for. Time will tell how it works out, but everything seemed fine.

I turned 2 gallons of milk into 2 lbs (roughly) of beer cheddar. I was looking for some information on cheesemaking.com and browsed their recipes for a cheddar. I saw the beer cheese recipe and had to try it!

I soaked the drained curds in 1 bottle of homemade Belgian Golden Strong Ale. I hoped it would add a bit of fruity character to the cheese and maybe not be so bitter. I really kind of wanted to add some hoppiness, but wasn't sure how to do that without adding too much bitter and not screwing up the cheese.

Anyway, I put 10# on for 20 minutes, flipped it and 10# for another 20 minutes.

Then rewrapped it, flipped it and 20# for an hour, then flipped and went to bed.

This morning rewrapped it and upped the pressure to 50# and I will flip when I get home.

Everything seems fine and the cheese looks like it's pressing nicely.

Oh, and I took a few pics. I meant to document the whole process, but I needed my wife's help to shoot pics and then I got busy and forgot to snap pics for parts of the process.

So I got pics til about when I tested the curd, and then a pic of the cheese being pressed.

It was still pretty fun, so I may do another batch soon. Maybe some Wisconsin Cheese Curds next time.

Still don't have my camera at work! I will probably not remember to grab the flash card.

I do want to make another wheel very soon. Maybe one night this week.

I'm wondering what kind of cheese hops would go good with. I would like to get some hops flavor in my cheese without the bitterness. I could try mozzarella. Quick and easy.

Well, I never got the pics. The cheese turned out bad. Smelly and too much Belgian funk flavor. Started to mold under the wax too.

I used it for cheese soup where the flavor would be masked better and that worked out great.

I think I will get some coloring and try making some more. I think the orangish tint will help people accept it as cheddar better.

Well, I never got the pics. The cheese turned out bad. Smelly and too much Belgian funk flavor. Started to mold under the wax too.

I used it for cheese soup where the flavor would be masked better and that worked out great.

I think I will get some coloring and try making some more. I think the orangish tint will help people accept it as cheddar better.

Buy anatto extract to make it orange. Don't try to use the anatto spice that you can buy at the store, it's impossible to do a proper extraction at home with that stuff.

Skip the wax and use a vac bagger if you have one. I haven't had any problem with cheese getting moldy under the bag. And if it did, it's really quick to remove, brine, and re-bag.

The wax was neat, but after using it, I'm ready for quick and easy. I may wax some cheese if I gift to friends, but if my sealer still works I'm definitely going that route for MY cheese.

The wax was neat, but after using it, I'm ready for quick and easy. I may wax some cheese if I gift to friends, but if my sealer still works I'm definitely going that route for MY cheese.

Yep, I used red was and it looks very cool. I'd do that for gift cheese, too. I also have bought this cool cheese paper that you can just fold/tape around the cheese. It's fairly presentable, but not airtight in any way.

I think I need a good pan for dipping. I currently brush it on and it gets all lumpy looking. If/when I want to gift, I can sample from one of my wedges, then wax another one to gift. Fancy it up a bit, yeah?

I can't find any good info on how to do that Cahill Porter cheese with the veins. Their marbling is incredible! I feel as though they let the curds set a small bit before adding the porter and pressing. The curds really stand out. I wonder if they press a small bit first, then cut the cheese and repress after adding the porter...

Back