Corny Chargers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for 35 bucks you might as well pony up for and actual tank and regulator. Most people using them add priming sugar to the keg and use the chargers for serving. They are handy if you plan on taking a keg camping or to a sporting event, but other than that I feel they are not worth it. Since there is no regulator on them it is easy to apply to much pressure and end up serving foamy beer. I supose you use it to force carb, but it would be very hard to determine the applied pressure without a regulator.

IffyG said:
They are solely for dispensing and even then it takes 2 or 3 to push a full keg.

2 or 3 to push a full keg? In my experience, you need between 5 and 7 for a keg. I use them for charging a keg when I'm storing it just to keep positive pressure inside. I think they're a pain in the ass to serve a full keg using them.

I have and use one, and can confirm that you will go through 2-3 chargers to serve a keg. You do indeed need to carb the keg either with sugar or force-carb with a full-size tank/regulator, but this device beats the pants off of hauling your whole tank/regulator around just to serve at a party. It's handy to have, in my opinion.

Back