Is something wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christianb17

Reaction score
I brewed a chocolate milk stout and its been in the bottle for about 18 days and its got a great flavor but it has a dry and unpleasant finish. Is something wrong?

What level did you carbonate it to? If you carbonated too high, then what you could be tasting is carbonic bite (higher levels of CO2 in solution, giving it a more acrid taste).

Also, give it more time. Rule of thumb is three weeks at 70f before chilling a bottle for samplimg. You should also chill for at least a few days before pouring to a glass.

Nope, but i bet it's just too young. 18 days in the bottle is a pretty short time for any beer but stouts take extra time to develop and mature. I bet after it's been in the bottle for two months, it'll be awesome.

Ive never thought of chilling for a few days before trying it. Ill do that next time. Whats the reasoning behind that?

Ive never thought of chilling for a few days before trying it. Ill do that next time. Whats the reasoning behind that?

There's a couple of benefits to a 5+ day chill time. Top on the list is to get the sediment to compact as well as get the CO2 that's in the space above the brew into the brew. Sure, you'll have some in solution, but you'll get much more once its properly chilled.

When I bottle carbonatd, I let the bottles sit in the fridge for at least 5-7 days before pouring to glass.

Back