"Imperial" Porter - Fruity esters desired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Ever since I got Designing Great Beers I couldn't be more excited about brewing and formulating recipes. I've become interested in brewing bigger beers and thought this should be my first. I want to do a "Imperial" Porter with some fruity esters. If anyone's tried Flying Dog's IP, I want something along those lines.

The recipe below is for 2.5 gallons and is based off of Ed Wort's Robust Porter, which I looove. The changes I'm making is up'ing the base malt & hops, change the yeast and adding cocoa powder to the mash.

What yeast strain should I go with to provide some fruitiness but will attenuate well and can handle the alcohol?

Maybe Wyeast London Ale 1028? It says it has an alcohol tolerance of 10% which is what this batch comes to and imparts some fruity characters.
Link

It looks like a smack pack, which I've never used. Do I/Can I to make a starter from this?

2.5 Gallon
Mash at 154

7.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt
0.25 lb Barley, Flaked
0.13 lb Black (Patent) Malt
0.03 lb Black Barley (Stout)
0.34 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (60 min)
0.57 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] (60 min)
0.25 lb Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 min)

Any suggestions for this eager brewer?

Back