Brewed a Blue Moon Clone, but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got some stuff for a Blue Moon Clone, and to start, they didn't have the hops I wanted to use, but gave me Willamette instead. Not a big deal, it should still end up pretty good I imagine, so no big deal.

Also, the only Belgian hops they had was a "Belgian Blend". Ok, I'm eager to brew soon, so I buy it. Brew day comes and everything went super dooper. I try out my new counterflow chiller and it performs fantastically. So, I pitch my yeast and set the bucket in the bathroom and walk away happy.

2 days later, no activity in the airlock. I mean, the thing has not moved a BIT! Did I mention the yeast came from the discount section? It was the only Belgian they had.

So I pitched my backup yeast (Dry Standard Ale) and less than 12 hours later my beer is going crazy.

Do you think not using a belgian yeast is going to hurt the recipe much? I mean, I know it's still going to be beer, but is it going to be GOOD beer? I've heard that the yeast is a very important past of a good Belgian.

It won't taste like a Belgian. Belgian beers get most of their flavors from the yeast. It will probably still be a good beer though. Did you make a starter with the original yeast?

Professor Frink said:
It won't taste like a Belgian. Belgian beers get most of their flavors from the yeast. It will probably still be a good beer though. Did you make a starter with the original yeast?

Alas, I got lazy on this one. In hindsight, it would have been a good idea. At least it would have proved the viability of the yeast, and at best, it would have increased the cell count dramatically.

Nothing for it now. I do plan on making another batch of Wit beer though. I can compare the two and see how much difference the yeast makes between them.

In my limited experience...the yeast makes all the difference. Do it again with a Belgian yeast and you will taste a BIG change.

Bottled this last night. Yes, it took me a while to get to that, but things come up. Bottling went very well, and best of all, the beer tasted great! Not exactly what I expected, but tasty anyway.

Can't wait to try it after priming and conditioning, and can't wait to try this recipe again with Belgian yeast!

Try it again with Wyeast 3944, or a similar Belgian.
I am on my 2nd 5 gal batch in a row in primary, both Belgian Wits.
The first was a tangerine wit
This one a sweet orange.
The yeast is quite different than all the ales (or lagers, for that matter) I have been accustomed to.
Full top-cropping, I had to "rouse" it off the top back into action twice a day to keep it working.
As it is you'll have wheat beer.
It'll still be good, but better with a Belgian yeast! :cross:

I'm a big fan of 1214 Belgian Abbey. Ferment a little warmer than you usually would to get a stronger ester flavor, your whole fermenting area will smell like a Chiquita truck.

Well the good thing for you is that blue moon is actually fermented with an American Ale yeast.

Basic Brewing Radio did a segment with the brewmaster for Sandlot brewing (the company that created Blue Moon but is owned by Coors). He said they use a standard california ale yeast -- not even an American Hefe.

so if you are going for an actual blue moon clone, you accidentally probably got closer to the real thing.

Well, it's been 1 week since I bottled. Shall I try a bottle now?? I can't believe it's only been 1 week. I'm so eager to try it!! I usually wait at least 2 weeks, and I know it only gets better the longer you wait, but I might have to pull one out tonight and see what's going on inside the bottle...

Homercidal said:
Well, it's been 1 week since I bottled. Shall I try a bottle now?? ...
Hell, why not?! Ideally, you're smart to wait 2-3 weeks, but you know that! But what harm can come from just one? When I bottle, I usually try one after a week or so just to get an idea about how the beer is doing.

well, I was supposed to stick a bottle in the fridge last night before I ran some errands, but I forgot before I left, so it wasn't ready. I decided to wait until today or tomorrow to try it. Man, it's hard to be good!

Tried one last night. It was awesum! Not sure I can let this age properly ...

I made everyone in my house smell it, and my wife even tasted it (she hates beer). She said it tasted like Budweiser. I told her, "F@ck YOU!" She was just joking, but it still pissed me off. I know she doesn't even know what Bud tastes like because she doesn't drink beer. But still, that was uncalled for.

I told her I had something really nice planned for her this weekend, but forget it now. Her response? "Yeah, right. Whatever"

Actually, said said my Blue Moon was not too bad. I wonder if this could be the beer that gets here started drinking beer?

Just to jump into this thread. The belgian yeast used was it a belgian Wit strain? If so they are freaking really slow and seems like days to get gong..for the future always use a starter with any Wit strains and a good couple days before..

J

discgolfin said:
Just to jump into this thread. The belgian yeast used was it a belgian Wit strain? If so they are freaking really slow and seems like days to get gong..for the future always use a starter with any Wit strains and a good couple days before..

J

Thanks, I'd heard that too, but not unitl after I'd pitched the Ale Yeast on it. I'll try again next time, and make sure to a starter ahead of time, or at least proof the yeast before pitching. I'm curious to see what difference there will be, but I can't complain about how this one turned out. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open for a nearby homebrew contest.

Oops, forgot to remention that the yeast I used was a "belgian blend". The LHBS didn't have a straight wit yeast, and the only belgian they had was in the clearance section. I pitched a plain Ale Yeast on top, out of my emergency stash.

Back