Saranac Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adx

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 12 pack Saranac Sampler. SWMBO enjoys their Pale Ale and Larger and it was on sale. They have recently changed the beers in the mixer and include their Brown Ale.

At first I was a bit worried. The label reads, "An authentic brown ale is brewed with All-American grain, Pacific Northwest hops..." Once I read that I always worry that the brewer has decided to hop up a classic style and blast me with C's. The website says they use Cascade and Centennial with an OG of 14.5 Plato.

I've found this brown ale to be nicely balance. A strong malt backbone with a nice bitterness that is not a blast of citrus. The color is great for a brown. A rich, slightly transparent color that looks like a glassy brown. There is a thick, creamy head. A touch of color to the head, but still milky smooth. The flavor is fantastic. It tastes just like a carbonated and rich version of New Castle.

This may be my new standard for brown ales.

I find Saranac's specialty beers are really good and their standard lineup is weak. I love the Summer and Winter packs, but I rarely will ever buy a six of their regular brews...

I have found I like all of Saranac's offerings. I tend to alternate between them and SA's seasonal 12 packs for my commercial drinking. Had their Oatmeal Stout last night.

Mulcahey's Brewing said:
I find Saranac's specialty beers are really good and their standard lineup is weak. I love the Summer and Winter packs, but I rarely will ever buy a six of their regular brews...

Wow, I find their lineup as good as any micro in the northeast to be honest. Their Black and Tan, IPA and Pale Ale are excellent and you might be the only person I've every heard say their lineup is weak!

I believe their Pale Ale placed second in online voting ion the Washington Posts' 64-beer tourney and beat some very famous competition.

Take it for what it's worth I guess.

I don't know if they are doing this everywhere, but around here, they are putting out a series of one time brews that they are calling the High Peak Series. So far, they put out an Imperial Pilsner, and an Imperial Stout. I really enjoyed the Imperial Stout, but I haven't tried the pilsner yet. Anyone have any feedback on it?

zonabb said:
Their Black and Tan, IPA and Pale Ale are excellent and you might be the only person I've every heard say their lineup is weak! I believe their Pale Ale placed second in online voting ion the Washington Posts' 64-beer tourney and beat some very famous competition.

Their regular lineup just doesn't do it for me. I wouldn't say, or meant to for that matter, that their regulars are gross. Then again, Pales and IPAs are the last style of beer I would go for anyway, as I am not a hophead, even though many have told me the Pale is really good...

I just prefer their specialty brews to the regulars...

CrazyToad said:
I don't know if they are doing this everywhere, but around here, they are putting out a series of one time brews that they are calling the High Peak Series.

I would like to try the Imperial Stout. I have not seen it here (Syracuse). I saw the Imperial IPA...

Back