A Keezer in progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZBrewing

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just recieved my GE 7.0 Cu ft chest freezer from HD when they were having their internet sale with free delivery (score). Now I must transform this little white box into a wonderful draft beer dispensing happy maker :mug: I have never attempted a project like this and I may not have skills, but I will drink till I think I do.

Good luck, just did mine a few weeks ago with the same freezer during the same sale. Post some pics when you get done.

As I am building mone right now, I highly recommend modeling it in sketchup first. I found so many errors by doing that!

Hi

So: Collar or no collar? Tower or no tower? If a tower, coffin style or not?

Bob

I was planning on doing just a collar, but after reading so many interesting keezer builds I am going with a full build. I will however still be adding a collar to mine for additional room. I am going with four taps and I am deciding still for the tower or coffin option.

As I am building mone right now, I highly recommend modeling it in sketchup first. I found so many errors by doing that!
Pre job planning, I found out, is a must ( ...and on hand beer) as I kept changing my plans. I am welcome to any ideas as I go along and will post some pictures as I go.

I was thinking about doing something different as far as the front and sides go...

backsplash.jpg

My collar as it stands will must likely be 1x8. I can fit 4 cornies without the collar, but it is very very snug. With the collar I have more options as I can put a keg on the hump and have plenty of room for co2 tank.

I was considering buying this exact model, but I wanted to do two draft towers coming up from the lid. has anyone seen anyone do this with this model before? I know this is a popular freezer, but i couldnt find any pics of it with draft towers....just nervous that there are coolant lines running through the top?

I used the GE 7 cu. ft. for mine and no, there are no lines in the top Goose. AZ....I did the whole cabinet, with decorative lid, and full coffin equiped with coffin cooling fans, a dual input/dual output temp. controller, and four 525ss Perlicks. Let me know if I can offer any advice or you can check out my thread. I have to warn you that my thread got ridiculously long, so if there are specific questions that you have about how I did something then let me know and I can point you to the right page on the thread. Good luck and keep us posted. :mug:

I was considering buying this exact model, but I wanted to do two draft towers coming up from the lid. has anyone seen anyone do this with this model before? I know this is a popular freezer, but i couldnt find any pics of it with draft towers....just nervous that there are coolant lines running through the top?

you generally don't see coolant lines run through doors

Thanks, what material is that pictured?
I saw it at HD. Here is the description...

"Oil Rubbed Bronze Waves PVC Backsplash to create a bold and dramatic accent. This backsplash is made of PVC and is water and corrosion resistant for exceptional durability."

It is a backsplash and thought it might be interesting to try. Although it may go horribly wrong too.

I used the GE 7 cu. ft. for mine and no, there are no lines in the top Goose. AZ....I did the whole cabinet, with decorative lid, and full coffin equiped with coffin cooling fans, a dual input/dual output temp. controller, and four 525ss Perlicks. Let me know if I can offer any advice or you can check out my thread. I have to warn you that my thread got ridiculously long, so if there are specific questions that you have about how I did something then let me know and I can point you to the right page on the thread. Good luck and keep us posted. :mug:
Thanks Hoppopotomus. You have a great build and I would def appriciate any input and or suggestions as this is new to me. I was thinking for the top I would do wood of some sort. I like the look of the strip wood glued together (butcher block like) as a top. I am at a toss up as far as the tower direction or coffin.

Hi Rouge...I will post some pictures soon of the freezer itself if it helps you. I took the lid off yesterday with no problems so you would be fine. I too may opt for two draft towers as I like the clean look of them, but my mind always changes after a few brews.

Thanks AZ. I guess it was dumb for me to ask about the coolant lines, of course there isn't any hahah. I found an older model GE 7.0 and the Magic Chef 7.2 for pretty decent prices (used).

Let me know how you like the GE, and if you have the model number, shoot it over if you could. Thanks!

Thanks AZ. I guess it was dumb for me to ask about the coolant lines, of course there isn't any hahah. I found an older model GE 7.0 and the Magic Chef 7.2 for pretty decent prices (used).

Let me know how you like the GE, and if you have the model number, shoot it over if you could. Thanks!
No worries Rogue... the model number is FCM7SUWW. HD has a sale on this model often. I got it with free delivery for like $170 I want to say. You def do not need to buy new though. Used you can often get more freezer for less money and you do not feel as bad drilling into it :) I have seen other people on the DIY thread using this model as well.

Thanks Hoppopotomus. You have a great build and I would def appriciate any input and or suggestions as this is new to me. I was thinking for the top I would do wood of some sort. I like the look of the strip wood glued together (butcher block like) as a top. I am at a toss up as far as the tower direction or coffin.

Happy to help in any way that I can. I had a blast building mine and I am now applying the same design concept for rustic ferm. chambers. Hopefully building the decorative lids this wk. with cedar log trim, knotty pine, and tumbled travertine to match the keezer. Good luck and keep us posted! :mug:

Took off the lid and bought some lumber today. This would go faster if I did not have to keep going to work :D

outside chest.jpg

inside chest.jpg

beerpic.jpg

I put together the dolly portion that the keezer will sit on. Also, my first attempt at miter cuts and pocket holes. I wanted to ensure it was strong so I added some brackets.

bottom.jpg

Does anyone know how tall the corny kegs are with ball lock connections?

Hi

23" without anything connected to them. Figure another half inch to allow hoses to get in and out easily. There is some variation between manufacturers, so it's best to measure the actual kegs you have if you are really trying to squeeze things in.

Bob

Hi

23" without anything connected to them. Figure another half inch to allow hoses to get in and out easily. There is some variation between manufacturers, so it's best to measure the actual kegs you have if you are really trying to squeeze things in.

Bob

Thanks Bob. I did and it looks like I will be okay with an 8 inch collar.:mug:

Okay, Found out interesting things today.

First... It is near impossible to get a flat straight board at my HD. Grrrr.

Second... I wish I discovered number one sooner. :)

Third... Liquid Nails is very awesome!

I have the collar put together with the lid attached to the collar. So far so good.

2012-08-05_14-52-45_756.jpg

Awesome! Did you see my post saying it was for $168? Anyways, glad I could help you if I did.

I'm putting mine together right now. I just got the collar built this weekend (miter + 2 triangle brackets for each corner), and now I'm waiting as the top seals to the collar. It's been tons of fun so far, but I got a lot to go before I have this beer on tap this weekend (60 min IPA clone).

Awesome! Did you see my post saying it was for $168? Anyways, glad I could help you if I did.

I'm putting mine together right now. I just got the collar built this weekend (miter + 2 triangle brackets for each corner), and now I'm waiting as the top seals to the collar. It's been tons of fun so far, but I got a lot to go before I have this beer on tap this weekend (60 min IPA clone).
I think I did see it. I went to HD and ordered it through the store so I could use my military discount for an extra 10% off. I went with 1x8 and plan to make walls and a tower of some sorts. Thanks for the great post on the discount...Definitely a great deal.

Put some sealant on the wood today. Still need to insulate and decide on a top. I have a rough idea for the sides but still need to hammer it out.

Okay, Found out interesting things today.

First... It is near impossible to get a flat straight board at my HD. Grrrr.

Second... I wish I discovered number one sooner. :)

Third... Liquid Nails is very awesome!

I have the collar put together with the lid attached to the collar. So far so good.

Noooo. Liquid nails is not awesome at all for putting joints together. Elmer's Glue is a lot better than liquid nails for that. Liquid nails is good for attaching paneling, and not much else.

I will definitely keep that in mind for the next use. I used wood screws and some liquid nails with them so I hope I should be good. I bought the liquid nails with the intent to put on backsplash on the plywood.

PVA adhesives such as elmer's and "wood glue" are excellent where you have two porous surfaces that are closely matched.

Acryllic adhesives such as liquid nails seem to do well where the mating surfaces are not so well matched.

Still deciding on a top. I really wanted to do a cross cut butcherblock top, but I do not have a table saw at the moment. I think a wood top will complement the look of panels I will be attaching so I will have to think of something. I ordered the JC A419 temp controller today as well. I still need to pick a CO2 reg, tank, and manifold. At least SA Octoberfest is out to get me through these difficult choices:D

Latest posts

Back