Whole Leaf hops taken out of fermenter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tkelly32

Reaction score
So I brewed a beer that I fancy very much and am planning to make it again. However, the first time around I boiled the whole leaf hops and left them in. This made it very messy when stirring during the chill, and even a bit messy siphoning it into the bottling bucket. I just brewed a beer that was new and I didn't care that much so I wrapped some hops in a cheesecloth and tied it to the brewpot, but also added hop pellets directly into the boil. My question is during my recreation of the the beer I fancy very much, if I do the cheesecloth routine, essentially leaving them out of the fermentation, except for the small bit of hop pellets I add directly to the boil, will this greatly effect the taste of this beer and make it one that I no longer fancy?

The hops that will make the most difference are the very late additions/flameout hops. The bittering hops added at 60min or the beginning of the boil will have had done their contribution to the bitterness only when they were boiled.

Your beer will, for the most part taste the same but will lose some hop aroma...and it may not be much at all depending on what you're adding and when.

Ideally, you want to filter out the kettle hops before the wort goes to the fermenter. Will putting hops in cheesecloth affect the taste of the beer, yes but not for the reasons you think. Putting the hops in cheesecloth will reduce the utilization of those hoods by a small amount, similar to how tea tastes different if you put the leaves in a teabag versus directly into the kettle.

Also, there will be a small difference in a beer in which the kettle hops were transferred to the fermenter versus one in which the hops were not transferred. This will depend on the quantity and time of their addition with more impact being from large, late boil additions.

Hop utilization will go down (as earwig said), but you can always just add more hops to compensate. +10-20% on your late additions should help.

thanks guys very informative. I think I will just throw those hops in and deal with the mess. I am hoping the beer I just made with the cheesecloth still tastes ok. It smells good right now, used some British Ale Yeast II.

Back