english barleywine partigyle 2nd runnings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyhoundbrewing

Reaction score
i am planning an english barleywine partigyle in the near future. i have done some searching but have come up short on what i am able to do with the second runnings. what are my options or what have you done and turned out well? all beer styles are welcome.

the barleywine looks like this

English barleywine

Anticipated
Og 1.105
Fg 1.026
Abv 10.2
Ibu 40.2
Srm 15.9

Maris otter 12 lb
biscuit malt 2 lb
crystal 10L 2 lb
aromatic malt 1 lb

London ale 1028

Ekg 1.5oz 60min
Ekg 1.5oz 30min
Ekg 1oz 10min

A mild would be a great second runnings beer. Look up a recipe, you might want to cap with some chocolate malt for color.

Im planning on a braggot with the 2nd runnings. I like being able to adjust gravity by adding more honey if need be. I also like light braggots.

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I plan on canning or freezing some of the second runnings of my upcoming barley wine to use for yeast starters.

Adam

i would like to take the second runnings in a different direction and have the second beer not be so close to the barleywine or just a smaller version. maybe this will help. my last few beers have been but not limited to, a farmhouse ale with dried currents and figs on oak, rye ale, soured scottish and a german ipa. so i am pretty nondiscriminatory when it comes to brewing or drinking. when i go to the liquor store i look for the dustiest or an obscure bottle that i havent had yet, im pretty adventurist in drinking. i kind of want to stay away from the pale ale or ipa just because im not that big of a fan. what im thinking about is adding some other grains and take it in a different direction. and here lies the problem, what are they????

are bitters or pale ales my only options??

As stated, no. Put whatever malts you want into the mash tun for the second runnings (nothing that requires mashing, though) and let it sit longer than a usual sparge. Then brew away. Milds, porters, brown ales, and other options are all possible.

Hey guys, I have a question regarding barleywines. I tried my hand at one this past weekend which used just under 23 lbs of grains for a 5 gal batch. I did sparge which now I'm realizing was probably a bad idea since I missed my target OG by about 40 points..target OG was 1.112 & mine came in at 1.073. The recipe posted above only used 15 lbs of grain. Could my sparge really have that drastic of an effect on the gravity even with such a large amount of grains or is there something else I might be overlooking?

If you want to get crazy then get crazy. Add some fine ground carafa for color, some crystal for color, then add spruce tips and some juniper branches to the mash. Add spruce tips at flame out as well and you will get something you can't buy at the liquor store. It will be a dark and woody/herbal Nordic ale.

Feurhund said:
If you want to get crazy then get crazy. Add some fine ground carafa for color, some crystal for color, then add spruce tips and some juniper branches to the mash. Add spruce tips at flame out as well and you will get something you can't buy at the liquor store. It will be a dark and woody/herbal Nordic ale.

I meant crystal for extra gravity.

my barleywine came in around OG 1.070. not to much of a barleywine. so what i did was add a belgian yeast and some jp funk to really dry it out..

i like what feurhund had to say...im digging it. i try to do what he is talking about, creating something that you cant buy. im going to be trying something like this again soon but probably not an english barleywine but maybe something crazy. red ale barleywine, belgian barleywine with 10% candi, berry hefewine or something crazy nuts!

Hey guys, I have a question regarding barleywines. I tried my hand at one this past weekend which used just under 23 lbs of grains for a 5 gal batch. I did sparge which now I'm realizing was probably a bad idea since I missed my target OG by about 40 points..target OG was 1.112 & mine came in at 1.073. The recipe posted above only used 15 lbs of grain. Could my sparge really have that drastic of an effect on the gravity even with such a large amount of grains or is there something else I might be overlooking?

i'm guessing he did a smaller batch size
i used 12lbs of grain, no sparge, to get 2.5g 1.117 wort (after the 3 hour boil)

i did a scottish heavy with my barleywine partigyle... came out okay, if not overhopped.

personally i don't like the mouthfeel with a partigyle as it always tastes thin. might have gotten it figured out on my last one where i did a mini "re-mash" (just held temp for 10 min before draining) and then did a long boil.. that was a scottish 60 and is pretty tasty - finally got it balanced.

Back