The Standard EPA, IPA, or Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromacster

Reaction score
Why is it that every brewery, Brewpub, microbrewery, etc etc always have a EPA, IPA, or some Lager as their poster child?

Now my knowledge base is somewhat limited to the MN craft beer and other craft brews that are sold more widely, but almost all breweries, that I know of, has one of these styles as their flagship.

Is it just because of the drinkability of these styles? I'd like to find a brewery that does not push one of these more mainstream styles as their main beer. Although I suppose if the market demands....

Please leave your thoughts and examples! (please don't mention Blue Moon)

I'd guess it's because lagers are most accessible to people new/seldom visiting craft breweries and those pale ales are popular among craft drinkers. Definitely not true of all breweries. Left Hand comes to mind as a brewery that does none of the above. It's flagship is Milk Stout and before that it was Sawtooth ESB.

I think you could include North Coast, New Belgium, and Anchor in this category.

It makes perfect sense though. IPA's and APA's (more and more the former) drive the craft beer market.
APA's appeal to a wide consumer base and IPA's are go the go-to as more and more people become hopheads.

Honestly, I think it's pretty amazing that some small breweries can actually thrive without a flagship IPA or APA.

Back