Do you use your spent grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeast Infection

Reaction score
Does anyone reuse or do something with the spent grain after the mash. I realize that they are pretty much husks so the nutritious value is minimal, but it is still a nice "organic" material....

Muskrats love it! Talked to a guy yesterday who cant keep his dog away from those spent grains. Maybe a little hamburger added in?

orfy said:
I use put them on the cmpost heap and use a spoonful in bread sometimes.

Yeah right onto the compost pile for me. I think I'll feed em to the chickens when I get em.

I do pretty much the same as Orfy but I throw them on top of my raised bed garden and let the birds pick thru it until I turn it under.

Dump it into the woods/compost area for me- My dog (see avatar) loves the stuff too - too bad it is just beyond the invisible fence line....ZAP....poor dog.

Great things to do with it if you had land.....which i dont. So for now, i will put them in the "compost" (which is the big green dumpster labled trash).

Yep, compost pile. The last session, I just dumped them in the backyard, near the fenceline, on top of all the snow. Now, I've had a rabbit who has been out there eating them for the last 3-4 days!

Yeast Infection said:
Great things to do with it if you had land.....which i dont. So for now, i will put them in the "compost" (which is the big green dumpster labled trash).

haul that $hit up to the Hall Ranch and spread it out for them deer to eat.

Rhoobarb said:
Now, I've had a rabbit who has been out there eating them for the last 3-4 days!

Rhoobarbs having rabbit for dinner!

butler1850 said:
Hmmm... into the freezer I guess for next season! :D

mmmm... Homebrew & Venison. <drool>

offtopic: I LOVE venison. It makes the best chili. I also love the backstraps wrapped in bacon... oh man, mouth is watering.. need a homebrew.

I use them around deer season in my front yard.:D

MoreSpentGrains.jpg

I put my grains in a pile on the side of my land. The coyotes will be there like clockwork later that evening and eat every single bit of them.

rdwj said:
Ya, rabbits are basically suburban rats
They're nothing compared to the raccoons! I jumped a foot off the ground when one popped the top off my neighbors garbage can and jumped out one day while I was in the backyard! After that, I started placing a heavy brick on the lid of my garbage bin.

Another time I was sitting in my den, watching TV in the middle of the afternoon, when I saw one walking down the sidewalk in front of my house like he was a damned Jehovah's Witness or something!

My wife uses them a cup at a time to make bread. It's actually quite good. The rest go to the compost, deer, ducks whoever seems to need it the most at the time.

EdWort said:
I use them around deer season in my front yard.:D

MoreSpentGrains.jpg

ed,

this is beautiful. i use mine as compsot, but if the doggies have been good i'll whip up some spent grain doggie treats...they love 'em.

the only problem is the dogs love them so much they eat them a 'second time' if you catch my drift!?!?!?

:mug:

I have deer, turkey, rabbits, squirrels, etc running around in my woods. I see 'em regularly. I dump them out back at the edge of the woods with the hopes that some varmint will come up and eat 'em. So far, most of the critters leave em alone.

I've often wondered as well, that with all the spent hops and hop seeds that I've been dumping, do you think there's any possibility I'll have some hops sprout up eventually??

I know that there are some wild hops near where I live that sprouted up from an old brewery that is now defunct. .

just a thought. I guess even if they did come up, I still wouldn't know what strain they were. (I guess that could be fun, too).

Rhoobarb said:
They're nothing compared to the raccoons! I jumped a foot off the ground when one popped the top off my neighbors garbage can and jumped out one day while I was in the backyard! After that, I started placing a heavy brick on the lid of my garbage bin.

Another time I was sitting in my den, watching TV in the middle of the afternoon, when I saw one walking down the sidewalk in front of my house like he was a damned Jehovah's Witness or something!

The damned things grunt & squeal like pigs when they're fighting, too. My dumbfcku neighbor was feeding them-on purpose! :mad: I told him if he does that again I'm gonna shoot him next time instead of the raccoons. Damned things are rabid menaces, and I have kids and dogs. The feeding stopped-so far as I can tell.

I'm pretty sure that some of the brewpubs around here put them in their bread and pizza dough. I'm thinking I'll have to get a pig or goats when I finally move out of the city.....of course, if deer make it a habit of eating them....bang...venison for me too!

I've been adding it to my hop bed but I don't want too much there so I started a compost heap. Hope the neighbors don't mind the smell.
I don't have mice or rats around, so it would be a bummer to attract them with the grain.

Rhoobarb said:

we used to live in this old house in indiana. there was a huge walnut tree right in the front, you could touch it from the window in the bedroom. one night i was awoken by a scratching on the screen. it was summer time. i moved the wood shudders back and planted my face right next to the screen to see what was up. i about **** my self when the racoon poped his head up about an inch from mine, seperated only by the wire screen!!!

but ontopic, i leave the grains out for the deers in the backyard. they don't seem to like the stout mash leftovers, as much as the pales and belgian ales...

I feed mine to my chickens, I have about 15 or so. They love the grains and I love the eggs!!

I take them to work with me (I work for a church camp) and dump them in the woods. The deer and wild turkeys make short work of it.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

I did the compost thing, now I have a big stinky pile of crud in the back yard. I tried spreading them in the flower gardens around the house all it did was attract mice. I'd dump them in the local hunting habbitat but the DNR would probably arrest me for illegal dumping. So from now on they get a ride to the county landfill in the big white garbage truck, of all the stuff I put in the garbage my spent grains are possibly the least offensive and acutually good for the dump.

Rhoobarb said:

I guess the fact that it was wearing a tie gave it away, huh?:drunk:

If I used a lot of grains I would re-use them to make a batch of BMC!!!

I'm gonna put mine in the redworm bin the wife's all excited about. 'Course I have to build it first...

onecolumbyte said:
I'm gonna put mine in the redworm bin the wife's all excited about. 'Course I have to build it first...

Lol, my vermicomposter is two of those plastic totes, on sits inside the other. If you did steepings they could probably keep up, but a full spent AG mash would take a BIG bin. They are indeed cool nontheless. I like listening to them eat. Kinda cool.

Waldo said:
I did the compost thing, now I have a big stinky pile of crud in the back yard.

If you do a hot composting method you should be able to turn it around in under 2 months. You do have to turn it often though during the inital phases especially. Cold composting takes a looooong time.

Small garden and at 1 AG batch a weekend, I have way too much so unfortunately it's into the garage dumptser.

But boy, does my garage smell nice all the time.

Back