Carb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david0161

Reaction score
Just cracked open a cream ale that has been bottled for 7 days to learn the rate of carbing. I had a very small hiss but it was as flat as could be but still tasty. Is this normal after 7 days? I'm conditioning them about 64 degrees....is this alright? Primed with standard 2/3 cup in 16 oz water - corn sugar.

7 days is not enough time. three weeks is the minimum for full carbonation.
and 64 is a little low so they will work more slowly. Dont get me wrong, its a workable temperature buut at that temp they will work slowly.

way too early, I try my first beer at 2-3 weeks for flavor then wait another couple weeks. Don't rush the greatness.

cheers

3 weeks at about 70 or above temp. If it is lower give it a bit more time. I know it is hard but it will be good if you give it time. The more beers you "try" to see if it is carbonated the more will be lost. Give it time my friend. You will thank yourself later :)

Thanks all. The NB recipe said 2 weeks primary and 2 week bottle condition. I ended up in primary for a month, is there any benefit in leaving it that long or should I have bottled at 2 weeks and then just bottle condition and carb at the same time for three weeks? I know it's probably preference so what would you do? It said 4 weeks total time but I'll be at 7 after carbing.

three weeks is the minimum for full carbonation.

Bit of a nitpick here, but this is incorrect. 3 weeks at 70 is a good rule to follow for carbing and conditioning, but it is by no means the minimum time required. Low-medium gravity beers with lots of yeast still in suspension will carb up way faster than 3 weeks.

That said, the beer will probably benefit from being in the bottle at least 3-weeks, depending on style.

Warm those babies up to 70˚ or more and wait 2 more weeks. You'll have good carb then.

Thanks all. The NB recipe said 2 weeks primary and 2 week bottle condition. I ended up in primary for a month, is there any benefit in leaving it that long or should I have bottled at 2 weeks and then just bottle condition and carb at the same time for three weeks? I know it's probably preference so what would you do? It said 4 weeks total time but I'll be at 7 after carbing.

Your timeline is perfectly reasonable, and is much more likely to give you good results. It can be done faster if all the conditions are right (healthy yeast at the proper pitch count, fermentation temperature control, etc.) but the patience method is much more forgiving.

:mug:the fact that you heard it hiss means its working. nothing to be concerned about. 3 weeks is about right. but i have had some take longer. let it sit for a while and drink your favorite beer, think about how nice its gonna be when you taste your finished beer.

Yeah, many kit recipes are constructed for higher turnover (thus more kits sold). I'd say a primary fermentation for 3-4 weeks then at least 3 weeks in the bottles. Your patience will be rewarded :ban:

So, it has almost been 3 months actually since I bottled this beer....I have inverted the bottles, let them sit, pretty much done everything I can think of that has been suggested and they are still flat.... i know for a fact i used the right amount of corn sugar, so I would assume i didn't get enough yeast in the bottling bucket. I almost thought an infection may cause it, but I assume those cause busting bottles more than no carbonation?? What a shame for the first batch.....

if you have sediment in the bottles then you got enough yeast. it must have been something else.

Back