Winter Brewing Wort Chilling Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeRatBastards

Reaction score
I brew outside all grain with a keggle and usually use a counter-flow wort chiller connected to my outside faucets for a water source. Well the bitter cold of winter is here for some of us and it is necessary to shut off the water source to those outside faucets to prevent pipes from bursting. Last year I brewed when it was ~10 deg F outside and figured the fact that it was so cold and that because I was brewing in a stainless steel vessel, the wort would cool down from boiling to pitchable temps fairly quickly. Well, hours later the temperature was still extremely high. Eventually I transferred it to an Ale Pail and subjected it to an ice bath inside.

This year I want to avoid that several hours of just sitting. Since I cannot connect a water source up to the CFC, what are my best options for cooling my wort outside (keeping in mind a similar problem exists for an IC, and taking my keggle inside for an ice bath is not an option).

I was thinking of making something like this:
cflow2.gif

and recirculating the wort as well as changing the water out when needed (obviously no hose connections like in the picture). Is there a better idea?

Ice bath outside? You'd have to change the water constantly for the diagram above to work.

I'd fill a couple/few buckets with water with enough salt to keep them from freezing, leave this out overnight, and go buy a pond pump and pump that through your CFC.

+1 pump. Thats the only thing that I use (mostly b/c my apartment complex doesnt have hose hookups) and the only downside is getting the water to run the chiller. But it will never freeze on you no matter how cold it is outside

I have a 20 qt stock pot that I use as a boiling kettle. That fits into a laundry tub that I fill with snow and then add water until the boiling kettle almost floats. Keeping the kettle moving around keeps cold water against it and cools the wort quite quickly. If too much of the snow melts, I add more. I prefer to do this outside so the cold air helps but i refuse to do it when it gets much below zero outside.

Ice bath outside?
Lifting the full + hot keggle off the burner into an ice bath is not ideal. I could drain the wort into an Ale Pail first but I have concerns about pouring 212deg wort into a plastic Ale Pail. Are my concerns here unwarranted?

Boerderij_Kabouter said:
Do you have a pump? If so, the winter offers a large amount of free ice...
I'm getting a pump later this month. Assuming I have one, and yes I know that there is lot of free ice, how would you suggest I utilize them together?

To use my pump I just fill up a large tub with water to hold the reserves. Then, I put the pump in a 5-6 gal bucket and run lines to the wort chiller and then a waste line. I just fill up the bucket with the pump in it as need and then when I get below 100F I will add a bunch of ice to the bucket. If its winter, I add snow the whole time

PS. If you have a hose you can just fill up the large bucket with about 15 gallons of water (thats how much I have to go through) the night before to make it nice and cold for brew day

I have a stream in the backyard and ferment in sanke kegs, I drain my wort still hot in to the keg and drive it back to the stream. ;) I got the idea from another member of this forum, so I can't take full credit. You could do the same thing using a lot of snow, water, salt & a large plastic tote or trash can.

you could turn on your faucet just to use the CFC. Moving water takes a veeeeery long time to freeze. I would not worry about turning on your faucet for the 20min it takes to chill your beer as long as you drain the pipe going to the faucet as soon as you are done.

I brew outside all grain with a keggle and usually use a counter-flow wort chiller connected to my outside faucets for a water source. Well the bitter cold of winter is here for some of us and it is necessary to shut off the water source to those outside faucets to prevent pipes from bursting. Last year I brewed when it was ~10 deg F outside and figured the fact that it was so cold and that because I was brewing in a stainless steel vessel, the wort would cool down from boiling to pitchable temps fairly quickly. Well, hours later the temperature was still extremely high. Eventually I transferred it to an Ale Pail and subjected it to an ice bath inside.

This year I want to avoid that several hours of just sitting. Since I cannot connect a water source up to the CFC, what are my best options for cooling my wort outside (keeping in mind a similar problem exists for an IC, and taking my keggle inside for an ice bath is not an option).

I was thinking of making something like this:
cflow2.gif

and recirculating the wort as well as changing the water out when needed (obviously no hose connections like in the picture). Is there a better idea?

It's basically a shell & tube exchanger. I would put the connections on the end if I was doing it.

you could turn on your faucet just to use the CFC. Moving water takes a veeeeery long time to freeze. I would not worry about turning on your faucet for the 20min it takes to chill your beer as long as you drain the pipe going to the faucet as soon as you are done.

+1. I assume the OP has a shut-off valve in his house so it's not a big deal to just turn the water on for 15 minutes then turn it off. I understand it may be inconvenient if there is no place for the water to drain except into a snowbank, or maybe the path to the faucet is 4 feet deep with snow. But I would really handle it this way if I were in that situation.

As it stands I have a floor drain in my garage so can use my immersion chiller in the winter. Works like a charm! :D

Back