Which White Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thataintchicken

Reaction score
On odd numbered years I do a white wine, even a red.
2009 beckons... and I cannot decide.
2008 was a Syrah ( best ever... )

Thinking a Big Fat Buttery Chardonnay for 2009...

Suggestions?

Wine Expert's Luna Bianca and sur lie aging with battonage. It's as fat and buttery as you can get in a kit. Mine took best of show at the Nebraska State Fair last year.

That sounds awesome! How long did you age sur lie and how often did you do the battonage? I've never made a white, but this could definitely tempt me!

That sounds awesome! How long did you age sur lie and how often did you do the battonage? I've never made a white, but this could definitely tempt me!

I'm at work and I don't have my notes and it's been two years since I made it but I believe my process was pretty much as recommended by WE's Tim Vandergrift:

* Make the kit as normal, and rack to the secondary carboy on day 5-7 as directed.
* After ten days, ignore the instructions about fining and stabilizing. Instead, add one-quarter teaspoon of metabisulphite powder to the wine, and gently stir it up with a sanitized spoon.
* Get all of the yeast sediment in to suspension, make sure it’s nice and cloudy, but don’t splash or agitate.
* Top up with some decent Chardonnay wine (this is better than using water for this technique). At three or four day intervals, go back and stir the yeast up again.
* Repeat every three or four days for a month.
* Let the wine settle for two weeks, rack it into a clean, sanitised carboy, and follow all the remaining instructions on schedule, omitting no detail however slight.

By stirring the yeast into suspension repeatedly you get the benefits of the amino acids they carry, along with a host of compounds—principally mannoproteins, which give the creamy aroma and mouth feel.

Back