Which varieties like a little shade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkdog50

Reaction score
Okay folks, I got a little carried away, and ordered more varieties than I can fit under my ( under construction ) trellis!! After a little head scratching, however, I figured out that I have an additional 25' of space to the East of one pole, between the pole and a pine tree to which I will be attaching a guy-wire. The problem with using that space, is that the tree ( on my Eastern property-line) will partially shade-out that 25' patch until about 11 A.M., after which time the patch will be in full sun, like the rhyzomes under the trellis. Which varieties, in your opinion(s) would be the best fit in the "shady zone"? the varieties I have ordered ( or already planted ) are:
Fuggle, Hallertau, Galena, Sterling, Centennial, Horizon, Nugget, Chinook, Golding & Willamette. ( yes, people have told me I tend to over-do most everything ).

From everything I have heard sunbeam like lower light levels... if you plan to order more. I would be inclined to put the goldings in the shade because they really seem to hate much heat... they barely grow here in GA.

All of mine (cascade, nugget, goldings, and fuggles) did really well last year, and the earliest they experienced full sun was about 11:30 -noon

Back