Do PIDS need to be temperature calibrated?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
Without falling back on a scientific thermometer how can you be sure that you are hitting the correct absolute temperatures? Does a PID/RTD combo have to be periodically calibrated?

I just finished building my Auberins SYL-2352 PID with the PT100-L50NPT RTD and it seems to be working but it occurred to me that I don't know if these have to be calibrated and there is nothing in the instructions that I can find about it.

Thanks...

Many higher end PID controllers have a calibration feature somewhere i the menu structure. Some have a 2 point system where the RTD/TC needs to be set at two known temperatures and the controller is prompted to learn those two points. Many have a single point calibration that uses 32 deg F as a base.
While looking through the manuan of your controller I can't find either of those features. My advice would be to stick the sensor in ice water & boiling water to get a feel as to where you are and adjust manually.
I think you will find it to be very close.
-David

The ones I am in typical contact with are Watlow SD Temperature controllers. (through my job)

I have Love TC and an Auber PID. I set all my probes in a ice bath and also boiling water to see it they needed to be adjusted. They all had to be tweaked some to get them to read the same. I used a lab thermometer as my control.

Mike

Latest posts

Back