How do I know when my keg is almost empty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

underwaterdan

Reaction score
If feels like it is getting light, but is there any way to know if I am almost empty besides weight and counting? Just don't want to run out without a little notice?

Unfortunately no. Some members have made attempts at building weight monitors, but I don't think anyone has succeeded.

The real solution is to keep the pipeline full. Plan on two kegs conditioning for every one in the kegger.

Unfortunately no. Some members have made attempts at building weight monitors, but I don't think anyone has succeeded.

The real solution is to keep the pipeline full. Plan on two kegs conditioning for every one in the kegger.

Okay so I will stick with my knock technique...

Not the most power efficient way, but I open the fridge door wait for condensation to form then wait a few moments. Condensation will form up to the level of the beer inside the keg.

I saw some strips you could buy as well that told you the level of the beer in the corny keg. I imagine they are just a more sensitive version of the openning the door and looking at the condensation line.

I believe I first saw them on ebay but a few shops carried them as well.

+1 on the knock method, and keeping some in the pipeline. I've tried/used the keg condensation method, and it works, just don't like making my fridge work to re-chill. I always have a back up or two, two on tap, and use the tap method for quick judgment of beer levels. You can always disconnect and set it ouside for 5 minutes, I just don't like stirring up the sediment.

Ideally with the weighing method, take a weight of keg empty, and then when it's full and carbed at the constant pressure you want it at.. Again, have seen mixed reviews/experiences on doing so, but should work with proper scale (have also seen scales with audrino board to display how much is left).

if you have a keezer the only thing you can do is judge by weight, but pretty much you know when there is no longer beer coming out of the tap. It's a sad thing when you had a really good brew on tap, I had a keg of Juniper Brown Ale kick a few weeks back, I almost cried.

How do I know when my keg is almost empty?

It goes "kuuuuuuuuuuuh" and only a little foam comes out. Saddest sound in the world.

Sitting the keg outside in warm air for a few minutes works fine. You can see the beer line from across the room.

I always start to think - this is some clear beer. If only I had waited to start drinking it until now - then it blows foam. For some reason that last pint is always the clearest best tasting pint.

Linc

Back