AG brewing with Poland Spring.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been posted multiple times already. I tried to search for "poland spring," but got a ton of threads with just spring water in them. What, if any, modifications should I do to standard Poland Spring water for AG brewing? Beersmith 2 has the numbers for this water, but I don't really know what it all means! I'm still new to brewing in general, and now that I have a decent understanding of the basic processes, it's time for me to learn some intricacies.

Edit-here's the report from their website: http://www.nestle-watersna.com/pdf/PS_BWFA.pdf

As I recall, Poland Spring water is almost Pilsen-like in its water quality. Very low mineralization. It would be a great place to start, but at a minimum I would recommend bringing the calcium content up. The recommendations of the Water Primer are valid for that water.

Thank you for the help. The problem I'm having is with the somewhat varied numbers in that report...that, and the fact that I'm terrible at figuring out what to actually add and how/when to do it. I'm gonna be brewing a Rye IPA tomorrow, and I have no idea what to add to Poland Spring to ensure a good water base.

What do you have on hand for adjustment salts?
i.e. gypsum, epsom salts, calcium chloride, baking soda, sodium chloride, etc.

Well, then I'd suggest a full set...your LHBS will likely have 1-2oz bags for under $2 each. How much you want to use (and when) depends on what type of beer you're trying to brew. Certain salts are useful to mash enzymes, to yeast....some enhance hop bitterness or other flavors.

Epsom salts will likely be cheaper at a drug store and baking soda will likely be cheaper at a grocery.....but if they're reasonable, support your LHBS.

Subscribe.. I am trying to figure out my brewing water options,let us know how it turns out and what you add

What style beer are you brewing? IPAs will require a different water chemistry than an Impy Stout.

Well it's hard to say what it is. They were bout by Hershey and now the water isn't even from Maine. The stuff I get here is bottled some where in CT and what you get might be from some where else.... Hence why they dropped the "what it means to be from Maine" thing....
So basically, it would require tests on the bottles you get form a specific bottling plant. You might be able to just contact the bottling plant and ask. It likely that they are doing lots of water tests and maybe even adding salts to make it more like the stuff from Maine.

Back