6 Stone Clone recipes in Dec. 08's BYO Mag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Oatmeal stout is a little over the top for the oatmeal stout style. But it is a good beer. It is almost like oatmeal stout meets russian imperial stout. It had good reviews form members of my local beer club. I also had a friend ask me to re-brew it for his wedding.

I know this is a really old post but BierMuncher I would love to hear if you ever brewed the Stone Ruination Clone from BYO. If so could you post what it came out to please.

I know this is a really old post but BierMuncher I would love to hear if you ever brewed the Stone Ruination Clone from BYO. If so could you post what it came out to please.

I remember plugging the recipe in but the following weekend I got distracted coming up with my "Tits Up" IIPA recipe. (Which I'm glad I did...) :)

Tits1.jpg

Never did brew the Ruination.

Bryce, can't comment on the Ruination IPA recipe. I did do the Stone IPA recipe. Great beer. I got great reviews form the local homebrew club tasting group.

I used some extract for this because I had a 5gallon cooler as my mash tun. I could not fit all the grain in there.

Code:
Stone IPA Clone 
American IPA 

Type: All Grain
 Date: 5/2/2009 
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
 Brewer: Jason Mundy 
Boil Size: 6.31 gal Asst Brewer:  
Boil Time: 90 min  Equipment: 40QT Brew Pot (10 Gallon)  
Taste Rating(out of 50): 26.0  Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 
Taste Notes:  

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU 
1.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 7.87 % 
11.30 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.98 % 
0.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3.15 % 
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -  
0.64 oz Pearle [7.00 %] (90 min) Hops 19.7 IBU 
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -  
0.43 oz Magnum [13.50 %] (90 min) Hops 25.6 IBU 
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 23.5 IBU 
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc  
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc  
10.00 gm Ferm Cap (Boil 90.0 min) Misc  
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) [Starter 1000 ml] Yeast-Ale  

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.064 SG
 Measured Original Gravity: 1.060 SG 
Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.008 SG 
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.66 %  Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.79 % 
Bitterness: 68.8 IBU Calories: 265 cal/pint 
Est Color: 6.9 SRM Color: Color  

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 11.70 lb 
Sparge Water: 4.31 gal Grain Temperature: 65.0 F 
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 65.0 F 
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.2 PH 

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp 
75 min Mash In Add 14.63 qt of water at 168.0 F 149.0 F 

Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time). 
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.4 
Pressure/Weight: 3.8 oz Carbonation Used: - 
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days 
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F   

Notes

I actually ended up with a 152F mash temperature using 13.5 qts of water. I missed my final gravity, but I believe that I actually had a little more than 5Gallons in my fermenter.

I'm considering brewing the Ruination clone again - now that I'm sitting at the All Grain table. I will caution to any who take on the Ruination to undercarb a little bit - 5 oz put out too much foam for my liking the last go-round (extract).

I might wait for one of my kegs to open up...

Bumping an old thread....

I plan to brew a batch similar to the IPA clone. With our first baby on the way in 2 months I'm trying to get a stockpile of beer brewed since I don't expect to have time in the summer. Was thinking of doing the usual 2-3 weeks primary, then transfer to secondary and store in my basement cellar for a month or two until needed. Dryhop for a week before kegging, carb, and serve.

Are there any changes I should do as far as hops? Thought about slightly less at 15 min (1.5oz) then add the extra .5 oz as dryhop. I don't have a ton of centennial so trying to make the most of it. I do have lots of Chinook so it would be easy to add more.

Back