Improved Gas Stovetop Boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished a boil test on our gas stovetop, 6 gallons went from 57 degrees to boiling in 52 minutes. More important, from 150 to a good boiling in 20. Nowhere near as good as my SQ14, but it does open up possibilities for foul weather brewing, partial boils or small batches.

The fix was an easy one, but I can’t vouch for safety. I drilled the needle valve orifice on a GE stove from .036 diameter to .047 diameter, although you can probably buy different sizes from an appliance dealer. Before this, three gallons was the most that I could get to a good boil, so I’m pretty happy.

I had this information tagged onto another thread, but it was off-topic there. I thought this new thread might have better luck producing comments, warnings or just be easier to search for.

I got real upset with my whimpy gas stove burners about 2 years ago and so now I have a WOLF commercial stove which has 6 huge burners. Although my brewing gets done on a banjo burner outside I can make a 5 gallon batch on the stove if I want to. I like the oven too as it preheats in 5 minutes to the set temperature. Lets face it, no chef is going to accept whimpy burners.

Option 2: use two, smaller pots to boil in, spilt the malt/sparge runnings evenly, hops evenly, then combine back in the fermenter.

Back