outdoor cooker/kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a good start. Nothing wrong with a spigot. Many brewers install them on their kettles (I don't) as a means to drain/transfer their beer. You'd need to buid some sort of false bottom or other filter manifold though.

shoebag22 said:
excuse my ignorance, but which would be the easiest/cheapest and why exactly do I need it?
Don't worry. THat's what the forum is for.

Once you get done boiling the wort, you need to cool it and then transfer it to the fermenter. Most people start out using a simple sihpon and racking cane. THat's what I use.

A lot of people like to build a bit more elaborate systems that use pumps to move the beer from the kettle through a plate chiller and into the fermenter. Using a spigot makes more sense that tryin to hook a pump up to a siphon hose. OThers build two and three tier systems that rely on gravity to move beer around. SPigots are also useful for that.

Spend some time browing the galleries and you'll see a lot of different examplse of the spigot being used.

For beginners, the spigot is not necessary. Just use the racking cane. The spigot is not a hinderence either and you might find use for it down the road.

That's a good price for a pot with a spigot and a burner.
That faucet however will be somewhat limiting since it doesn't have a threaded connection that you could adapt from. You may want to eventually upgrade the regulator.

Back