Brewers Best Red Ale not bitter enough, will dry hopping the keg help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I kegged and force carbed this red ale last weekend. It's good, but just a little too sweet (or something) for my taste. I am considering dropping a couple ounces of leaf hops in a muslin sack and throwing that in the keg. What affect will this have on the beer? Is this a crazy idea or should I give it a shot? I am really into IPA's right now, so I am looking for something to kick it up a notch.

To gain bitterness from the hops they need to be boiled to isomerize the hop oils so dry hopping will not gain you bitterness. What it can gain you is a wonderful (or horrible, depending on the variety and your nose) aroma. I love the aroma I get from freshly packaged Citra hops.

I've done that before. It won't add much if any bitterness but some hop aroma. Definitely a benefit a keg has over bottling if you ask me. It's kinda hard to open 52 bottles and dry hop them : )

Back