Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOMDBrewer

Reaction score
I just calculated an 87% efficiency on a Wit I made yesterday and I need to know if that is even possible. Here's my work
4.5 lbs of briess pilsen malt with a max ppg of 37.
4.5 lbs of briess white wheat malt with a max ppg of 39
0.5 lbs of rolled oats with a max ppg of 32
I collected 6.5 gallons of wort.
Below are the calculations for 100% efficiency.
37x4.5/6.5=25.6
39x4.5/6.5=27
32x0.5/6.5=2.5
55.1 points or 1.055
I tested my collected wort after stirring and got 12 brix on my handheld refractometer, or 1.048 sg.
48/55 is 87%
I made sure before hand that my refractometer was reading correctly. I work at a sugar plant and know all about Brix. I made 4 different Brix samples at work and tested them on our bench top refractometer and they all tested spot on the hand held. I even warmed the samples to 150 F and tested them to make sure temp didn't affect the readings, as my wort was about that warm.
So did I miss anything here. I just find it hard to believe I really hit that number.

Sure it's possible. I have hit 92% before. Only once though. But I am usually in the high 70's and low 80's with my efficiency.

I just calculated an 87% efficiency on a Wit I made yesterday and I need to know if that is even possible. Here's my work
4.5 lbs of briess pilsen malt with a max ppg of 37.
4.5 lbs of briess white wheat malt with a max ppg of 39
0.5 lbs of rolled oats with a max ppg of 32
I collected 6.5 gallons of wort.
Below are the calculations for 100% efficiency.
37x4.5/6.5=25.6
39x4.5/6.5=27
32x0.5/6.5=2.5
55.1 points or 1.055
I tested my collected wort after stirring and got 12 brix on my handheld refractometer, or 1.048 sg.
48/55 is 87%
I made sure before hand that my refractometer was reading correctly. I work at a sugar plant and know all about Brix. I made 4 different Brix samples at work and tested them on our bench top refractometer and they all tested spot on the hand held. I even warmed the samples to 150 F and tested them to make sure temp didn't affect the readings, as my wort was about that warm.
So did I miss anything here. I just find it hard to believe I really hit that number.

Absolutely, nice job and congrats...I love Wit :)

Back