Grain Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can think of two options:

1. Store it in kitty little box. Filter out cat poop and urine prior to using. Rise well.

2. A bucket with lid.

Your choice. #1 increases risk of infection, but provides for a more aromatic and flavorful beer.

>>5 gallon buckets with Gamma Seal lids!

Why Gamma seal lids, as opposed to the regular lid with a rubber seal (at Home Depot)?

Do a search for "Grain Storage" and you'll find numerous threads with a lot of input on the various methods people are using.

+1 for buckets with gamma lids. The gamma lids make it easy to get in and out of the bucket. It isn't as easy to put on and take off regular lids.

>>5 gallon buckets with Gamma Seal lids!

Why Gamma seal lids, as opposed to the regular lid with a rubber seal (at Home Depot)?

The regular Homer lid and the one on my fermenting bucket also are a PITA to get on and off. The Gamma Seal is a screw on/off - very easy!

They do cost more but well worth it to me.:D

Sushi resturants go through a ton of soy sauce and end up recycling the buckets. I got 10 buckets free from my local sushi place.

kh54s10 said:
5 gallon buckets with Gamma Seal lids! :rockin:

Orange Homer bucket with gamma lid = $11 and works beautifully!! I use this for 25 lbs or less, then I use the Vittles Vaults from Costco (seasonal for $26) for larger amounts of base grain.

I want to use this for my 2 row.... and to run out before a year has gone by.

BrockMSeriesBin_DavidCityNE_1008_1653web.jpg

>>The regular Homer lid and the one on my fermenting bucket also are a PITA to get on and off.

I find the lid much easier to remove than from my fermentor.
(and those $4.99 lid lifters don't seem to be very good, I worry they will eventually damage the lid)

I'm thinking about picking up a couple of these.

Easy to see what's in them, 40 lbs should be perfect for a new bag minus my usual usage from one batch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do temperature or other environmental factors matter? Other than "don't let the grain get wet or infested" of course. If I put the grain into some kind of sealed tub, do I also have to worry about keeping it cool or anything?

I use a galvanized steel 50 gallon trash can. Put a strip of weather stripping along the inside of the lid to create a good seal and line it with a food safe trash bag.

Costs about $30.00 total and holds almost 3 55 lb bags of grain.

Our brew site is a detached 600 SQ foot garage and eventhough I have never seen a mouse in there or signs of a mouse my paranoia is put as ease with Metal over plastic containers...

Latest posts

Back