A Keezer in progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I go with a tile top do I need to put cement board down or would ply be acceptable? Any suggestions guys?

1/4" hardi-backer board would be sufficient. I personally would not go without the cement board. The lids on these things get pretty damn heavy and lifting the lid from the front could cause a little flex in the plywood and crack out the grout lines over time. Just use 1/4" notched trowel to put down a base of mortar, cut the cement board to size and screw it down every 6 to 8 inches in the field of the board. This will provide the rigidity needed to prevent tile/grout damage and will help to provide another barrier of liquid protection in case of spillage. My 2 cents. Good luck! :mug:

I probably would have gone without the lid and just built the box with a plywood top and hardy board backing. What you have will work but it will be a bit heavier.

They have another sale.. this time it's a Magic Chef 7.0cf. Anyone know of any issues with the Magic Chef vs. the GE?

Walmart will have the GE 7.0cf for $169 on Black Friday. Home Depot has the Magic Chef 7.0cf for $158 right now.

Back