Yet Another Single-Tier System Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperpots_Brewing

Reaction score
I'm in the process of building my single tier system. Everything is ready but the stand! I just got my keggles done last week, so I figured I'd start my build post. Any comments and feedback is welcome! The keggles still need polished, but they're functional. :tank:

From left to right: Boil Kettle, HLT, MLT. All have drainage ports with camlock disconnects, 2" dial thermometers.
IMG_0606.jpg

Boil Kettle has a recirculation port at the top.
IMG_0607.jpg

Boil Kettle and HLT have calibrated sight glasses that I made with 1/4 gallon increments.
IMG_0608.jpg

Inside view of the Boil Kettle and MLT. Both have 11.5" SS false bottoms (from midwest). I didn't want to pay the $15 or whatever it cost, to convert the SS pick-up tubes to the 1/2 coupling, so i made my own out of 3/8 copper tubing.
IMG_0609.jpg

Inside view of the HLT. Nothing fancy, just made a copper pick-up tube that pulls all but an ounce or two of water out of the tank.
IMG_0610.jpg

nepats52 said:
What fittings did you use for the recirculation ports? Thanks

They all of the fittings are cam locks, with a welded 1/2" coupling. On the inside I'm going to make a tube that directs flow along the inside kettle wall, to create a whirlpool, at least for the BK.

Looks like it's gonna be nice, wish I had room for a stand.
One thing you might consider though is to go with the 1/2" pick up tubes and full port 1/2" hose barbs. This will create more flow to the inlet side of your pump(s) so you'll have less problems with cavitation.

lpdjshaw said:
Looks like it's gonna be nice, wish I had room for a stand.
One thing you might consider though is to go with the 1/2" pick up tubes and full port 1/2" hose barbs. This will create more flow to the inlet side of your pump(s) so you'll have less problems with cavitation.

Yeah I considered that, but I use 3/8 tubing and the false bottoms had 3/8 already drilled so I didn't have to do it. Later down the road I probably will, but for now it's a lot to change out

Good looking stand, and helper. Stand looks like it'd weigh a ton, I suppose you'll put wheels on it?

Lennie said:
Good looking stand, and helper. Stand looks like it'd weigh a ton, I suppose you'll put wheels on it?

Yea, it's 3" steel tubing. My family owns a chain of car washes, and they had some scrap steel laying around, that's the only reason I went with such big tubing. Yes, it weighs a lot. I'm able to pick it up myself, but I will definitely be putting it on casters!

Some archaeologist is going to find that in 1000 years and figure its an altar to beer, and he won't be too far off! Gotta love free material and recycling/repurposing is the best.

Back