need recipe directions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyfife

Reaction score
Hi all,
Being new to brewing, i need some step by step directions on how to brew the ingredients my wife got in town from the home brew store. We live a ways out of town, but the guy at the hbs said i could phone him and get directions, but i would rather have something i could look at to refer back to. I told him i wanted a strong IPA, so these are the ingredients he sent back with my wife.

3.5 KG LME Briess Light
0.5 KG LME Briess Weisen
0.5 KG LME Wheat
1 oz Domestic Glacier Hop Pellets
1 oz US Magnum Hop Pellets (Alpha 13.1--Beta 5.3)
1 oz Summit Hop Pellets (Alpha 17.6--Beta 5.4)
1 oz Amarillo Hops (9.3 AA)
11 gr Nottingham Ale Yeast

He did send along some instructions, but being a newb, they seem a little confusing. So, could there be some step by step instructions out there to help me along, as to:
1: Is this for a five gallon batch:
2: How much water do i start boiling with
3: At what times do I add the hops etc?
4: Whats this baby gonna taste like?
The recipe he gave me also calls for 1 cup of Wildflower Honey to be added with 2 min left in boil.
Help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Lester

Just about all of your questions can be answered by getting on Youtube and doing a search for Home Brewing Beer. There are many good videos on all aspects of cleaning, sanitizing, brewing, bottling and kegging specially developed for beginning brewers.

It's hard to guess what the recipe writers hop schedule is- otherwise the rest is easy. It's a five gallon batch. Boil as much water/extract as you can fit in your pot. I think getting the hops schedule and intended recipe from the source is the best bet.

I will say that I"m not a huge summit hops fan, but I can see that as a nice hoppy IPA.

It's hard to guess what the recipe writers hop schedule is- otherwise the rest is easy. It's a five gallon batch. Boil as much water/extract as you can fit in your pot. I think getting the hops schedule and intended recipe from the source is the best bet.

I will say that I"m not a huge summit hops fan, but I can see that as a nice hoppy IPA.

Thanks for responding. Here is the hop schedule he gave me:

1 oz Magnum @ 60 min
1 oz Glacier @ 20 min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 10 min
0.5 oz Summit @ 0 min

Add the rest of the Amarillo and Summit to the fermenter after the fermentation activity is mostly over (3-5 days)

Also, is it okay to use a 10 gallon plastic bucket w/o airlock as my primary? I have made some brewhouse kits in it and they turned out ok.

Thanks for responding. Here is the hop schedule he gave me:

1 oz Magnum @ 60 min
1 oz Glacier @ 20 min
0.5 oz Amarillo @ 10 min
0.5 oz Summit @ 0 min

Add the rest of the Amarillo and Summit to the fermenter after the fermentation activity is mostly over (3-5 days)

Also, is it okay to use a 10 gallon plastic bucket w/o airlock as my primary? I have made some brewhouse kits in it and they turned out ok.

Sounds good! Don't add the amarillo and summit to the fermenter in 3-5 days, though. I hate to tell you, but you want to add the hops about 7 days before bottling. And you should let the beer sit at least 10 days or so before adding those hops- you don't want to bottle a beer too early.

A 10 gallon bucket is fine- but you should have an airlock once fermentation slows down. Or are you planning to transfer the beer to a bright tank/clearing vessel when primary is over?

Looks like a 5G batch - hoppy - a little light on malt. Should be good. I like the yeast idea. Getting ready to make an IPA myself this weekend and use oak chips for the 1st time.

Sounds good! Don't add the amarillo and summit to the fermenter in 3-5 days, though. I hate to tell you, but you want to add the hops about 7 days before bottling. And you should let the beer sit at least 10 days or so before adding those hops- you don't want to bottle a beer too early.

A 10 gallon bucket is fine- but you should have an airlock once fermentation slows down. Or are you planning to transfer the beer to a bright tank/clearing vessel when primary is over?

I was going to transfer it into a 23 litre glass carboy. At what point should i transfer it into the carboy? After a couple of days once the fermentation slows down? Or will the 23 litre carboy hold the 19 litres of beer, leaving enough headroom for fermentation, without spewing out the top.

Thanks again
Lester

I was going to transfer it into a 23 litre glass carboy. At what point should i transfer it into the carboy? After a couple of days once the fermentation slows down? Or will the 23 litre carboy hold the 19 litres of beer, leaving enough headroom for fermentation, without spewing out the top.

Thanks again
Lester

I don't normally transfer, but if you want to, do it on about day 10. Make sure the beer is finished, and then rack (siphon) to the carboy onto the dryhops. Leave it for 7 days, and then rack to the bottling bucket.

I don't normally transfer, but if you want to, do it on about day 10. Make sure the beer is finished, and then rack (siphon) to the carboy onto the dryhops. Leave it for 7 days, and then rack to the bottling bucket.

Thanks alot for the advice. Cant wait to get started. Might have to wait for a week, cause my 3 carboys are full of wine right now. Guess thats a good problem:mug:

Thanks again
Lester

Back