grain storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HansF

Reaction score
A 1000lb sack of Honey Malt sprung a leak at work the other day and it was (almost) a complete loss. I managed to salvage ~35lbs of it before it all landed on the warehouse floor. It's now in 3 separate plastic bags in my brew room, but I want to store it in plastic rubbermaid/tupperware type sealable containers. How long can I store it and it still be "good"?

a long time, at least a year if it's sealed, cool and dry, maybe more. honey malt is strong stuff so it could take a while to go through 35lb.

Keep it tightly sealed, preferably under CO2 or argon, or with some DE mixed in. Honey malt is among the most susceptible to weevil infections for some reason.

Thanks. I split it into (7) 5lb ziploc bags and put them in a large sealable tote. Brewed an APA with some of it Saturday.

Your enemies are heat, light, and air.

So the best option is to vacuum seal or keep under inert gas in a cool place in the dark for maximum storage stability.

Back