Hops drying questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trevorc13

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been posted already, I did a quick search without results and I'm kind of in a rush. I'll be leaving town in two days and my hops are about ready to harvest. If I leave a fan on them from Saturday to Wednesday I'm sure I can get them dry. Is there a concern about over drying them? For example, if they're done drying on Monday, but the fan continues to blow on them until Wednesday, will the hops lose anything? Should they be placed in a zip lock bag and frozen right away after they're dry, or will they be okay to sit until I get home?

well im pretty sure the best thing to do is package them as soon as they are ready, if they get too dry the can lose all that good stuff that makes them hops and not dry leafs

I would rather not leave the dried hops out in open without packaging them if at all possible.
But are you sure they are ready now? You want them to have a papery and sort of dry feeling when you squeeze them on the vine. Before that they are not ready. I know mine are not ready yet in Southern Michigan.

As long as you're not applying HOT air to them you'll be fine. The growers use heated air because they have to dry a lot of hops in a very short period of time. The heat's what can really screw things up. I had a very small harvest of Fuggle or Mt. Hood one year and didn't want to waste the electricity by running the space heater rig so I just let them lay on a big window screen near the exhaust of my dehumidifier. They sat there for a few weeks and one brew day, I was thinking of what hops to use. I went over to the hop freezer and happened to notice them on the screen. I picked a few up and did the 'rub-n-sniff' test and they smelled great. The beer came out fine. You'll be alright if you let them dry for a couple extra days. Now go have a beer!

Back