Sanyo 4912 Capacity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HenryHill

Reaction score
Planning with an eye towards versatility.

Seems I need to build a kegerator, AND convert my car shop frig, too. The Sanyo will be the house version, the one for the shop (unattached) will probably just be a Sanke-picnic type, inside an old freezer-refrig, because of dirt and bugs in a doors-open garage. Will the picnic tap get stuck from only intermittent use???

I have seen all the build threads, pictorial guides, etc, but what I haven't seen is EXACTLY what I can put into, for size capacity. I will use it mainly for Corny's, but it would be nice if I can fit a 1/2 barrel keg in it, too, using threaded fittings on my QD's-Sanke taps. I'd like to keep the gas tank inside, for looks. Then I can buy the largest gas tank possible and save on refill costs and hassle.

So I am wondering: what is the largest CO2 tank I can fit into a Sanyo and still have room for a 1/2 barrel keg???

Thanks for your help.
HH

If I recall, you cannot fit a 1/2 barrel into a 4912. There is the shelf in the back, and I think it's not wide enough.

Henry Hill said:
...Will the picnic tap get stuck from only intermittent use???

HH
No...

Take a look at my sig below and you can see that two cornies is a snug fit in a Sanyo...allowing a smaller CO2 tank.

My 30lb CO2 sits on the outside of the Sanyo in my workshop where I'm not concerned about aesthetics.

you'll only be able to get cornies in the sanyo. Sanke kegs are 17" in diamter... you only have ~10 maybe 11 inches before you hit that back shelf... and even after that you maybe only have 14" depth total.

Sanyo 4912 is only good for cornies or smaller. Look for a chest freezer w/ a temp controller if you want 1/2 kegs.

1/2 Barrel Keg...............................1/4 Barrel Keg

23 1/4 inches.........Height.................14 3/4 inches

17.0 inches............Diameter.............17.0 inches

1984 ounces..........Contents..............992 ounces

160.5 pounds.........Full Weight........ 82.2 pounds

29.7 pounds...........Empty Weight.....17.3 pounds

130.8 pounds.........Beer Weight........64.9 pounds

29°F.......................Freezing Point....29°F

as far as CO2 and regulator. Inside the fridge plan on only getting a 5# bottle w/ regulator in there. You can always run a gas line out the drain tube hole and put a 20# tank behind the fridge. Your choice... i like my CO2 in the fridge.

No, picnic taps will not stick like normal beer faucets.

Thanks for the help; went and googled Sanyo and found that to do the 1/2 brl requires the 6.5 cf Sanyo frig. The 4912 is on sale this week ($189-Best Buy) and I need to narrow down the unknowns... Still thinking I want only the 4912 set-up.

I don't want to have to siphon/pour/whatever to transfer.

Okay, can I use a hose to CO2 purge my Corny of air, using the gas post (by maybe holding open the PRV?), then another hose consisting of a Sanke tap on one end, and a liquid Ball-lock QD on the other to fill the Corny from the 1/2 brl.? Or is there a different way to do this?

Back