my first ciders

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fendermallot

Reaction score
Photo0108.jpg

Photo0109.jpg

Well, these are my first ciders. I actually added a small bottle of 100% Pomegranate juice to the apfelwein. It's fairly cold here this time of year. It was about 20F this morning. The 5g is going to take awhile. I followed the EdWort's recipe except for the added Pom juice.

The smaller one is just unfiltered apple juice from Whole Foods. Added Nottingham and we'll see how it turns out.

If I can just keep the kid's hands off of them.

:ban:

Start filling another carboy with the Apfelwein! I know that mine has completely replaced the wife's need for Mike's. Half the cost and three times as effective!

Anyone know how long it takes for the Whole Foods juice to clear naturally. I have one that has been sitting for over 3 months and still cloudy. It was down to 1.000 after a month, when I racked it off the lees.

That does sound amazing! So you just added the pom juice to the mix before primary? Let us know how that tastes after primary please... I'm thinking it's going to be amazing... and I'm thinking my wife may not let me stop making this once I do... lol!

small one is bubbling away (3-4/min). Big one just started showing signs of fermentation. Should be going nicely when I get home. I have both bottles wrapped in a fleece blanket. Hopefully that'll keep them at least a little warm.

so this morning the little jug is bubbling away at 15-20 bubbles per minute. The big one got a small ring of bubbles along the edge yesterday but today they're gone. did I do something wrong or should I just be a bit more patient? 2 days out of a minimum 6 weeks ferment isn't much.

so this morning the little jug is bubbling away at 15-20 bubbles per minute. The big one got a small ring of bubbles along the edge yesterday but today they're gone. did I do something wrong or should I just be a bit more patient? 2 days out of a minimum 6 weeks ferment isn't much.

Did you check that the pomegranate juice did not have preservatives in it?

if you don't notice more action in another day or so... consider pitching another batch of yeast... and maybe some nutrient... just to make sure... and yeh... check for preservatives... that's a killer...

just because it's not actively producing doesn't mean the yeast isn't working though...

also... is it always that bright when you're fermenting? Or is that just for photos?

just for photo. The bottles are actually wrapped in a blanket atm.

pom juice was:
100% Pomegranate juice from concentrate (filter water, pom juice) and natural flavor.

also, The guy I bought the Better Bottle from told me I should get one of the better bottle caps (the orange ones). are they supposed to fit super snugly? This one feels sorta loose.

If your Carboy cap is loose or not as snug as you would like, visit your local hardware store and get a 1 1/2" hose clamp, it will fit around cap and then just tighten.

Even if your cap is a little loose you should see the bubbles shooting up the side to the top. Also you'll know its fermenting when the RHINO FARTS start... be forewarned!

Latest posts

Back