Pumpkin Ale - spiced ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GordonT

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Wyeast Scottish
Yeast Starter
Wyeast Smack pack
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Golden, pumpkin
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week
Tasting Notes
malt with gentle pumpkin pie spices
I have made this recipe many times and its a great holiday favorite. I try to be sure that I have a get together planned and place this beer at the head of the table.

Locally there are a few Pumpkin Ales on the market every Halloween but many of them taste artificial. This one tastes very authentic, not over done at all.

Roast a 3 or 4 lb Pumpkin in the oven until it is soft and starting to carmelize. Scoop out the pumpkin and mix it in with the mash. I have never had problems with a stuck mash or slow sparging. Some people feel this part is not very important. You probably can create this beer without the pumpkin but it just wouldn't be the same.

13 lbs Hugh Bairds
2 lbs Crystal 60L
1 lb Munich

.33 oz Perle in boil

3 cinnamon sticks broken into pieces for 15 minutes
3 cloves for 15 minutes
1tsp nutmeg for 5 minutes

Mash at 148 for one hour

What's the fermentation temp you use? Also, could the canned pumpkin filling be used?

I've wondered about the canned filling myself. Want to try a version of this now . . . But no pumpkins available this time of year.

I've wondered about the canned filling myself. Want to try a version of this now . . . But no pumpkins available this time of year.

Sorry about not responding to this earlier, it seems I am not receiving any notifications from here.

Canned is ok but go for a premium organice one if possible. Maybe if you have a 'health' supermarket close by.

I start my ferments at room temperature (low 60s) and use a brew belt to raise them to low 70s. American yeasts handle this very well and I do get a thorough ferment doing this, and no off flavours.

Primary is usually over in 3 - 5 days. Secondary I usually leave for a week, but have been known to keg sooner.

Back