Nice balanced beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummer3

Reaction score
Okay, I've got several beers under my belt, literally, and I'm finding out that I've been brewing on both ends of the spectrum. It's eithier a dominently malty beer or a super hoppy beer. I like both but never brewed something balanced. I'm not that up on all the styles so could some of you give me some ideas. I'm looking for a beer that is med body, well balanced, and easy to drink.

How 'bout a medium-low gravity pale ale? I'm brewing an APA with an OG ~1048, abotu 35 IBUs, tomorrow. A little bit of Vienna for some additional malt character, but not dominating. Northern Brewer and Cascade hops, some flavor additions, but I doubt I'll dry hop.

Or, a nice American brown ale, but keep the hops a bit in check, don't go terribly aggressive. I've had some real nice red and amber ales, as well. Those are real flexible, you can design them to be real malty, or to be essentially IPAs, or anything in between.

One of my first beers was an Irish red (from a kit). It was horrible. But I should'nt let that turn me off reds, probably had to do with my inexpierence and such. I have an american pale ale in the sec. right now but it's being dry hopped. Amber ale sounds right if not made too malty. What aabout Wheats

hello to our community ,i'm allen,a new boy on the block.
trying to come to terms with a new keg system.
looking forward to following the various topics as i find the time .

cheers

I would say an English bitter, with a flavourful ale yeast and a good dose of bitterness without overdoing it, allowing malt to come through. If you tell use whether you're an extract or all grain brewer we can help you out with a recipe.

I would say your key points, based on what you're saying, would be keeping the gravity low to moderate (1.040 -1.045 ish), and keeping the bittering units between 25-40.

Back