First Lager. No activity after 32 hours.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawk810

Reaction score
So.. let me start out with all the things I did wrong first..
Pulled the Wyeast Bavarian Lager 2206 smack pack out of the fridge, waited maybe 15 minutes, and smacked it.

Got my wort down to maybe 80F and pitched the still-not-room-temperature yeast (probably no more than 30 minutes after pulling it out of the fridge) into the wort.

I'm pretty sure I shocked the yeast dead by doing this, but what recommendations does anyone have for saving it?

I have read that letting it sit out and come to room temp until a krausen forms, then put it back in the fridge might help. Would it just be better to run up and grab a new pack of yeast and do it again, but this time with a starter at the right temps? Is it too late to wait any longer for that?

Any advise would be great.

What would I do? I'd wait another day or two and then, if nothing still, I would take a hydrometer reading to make sure there isn't any activity. Then, I might think about a repitch.

EDIT: What's the current temp on the wort?

A lager with no starter can take a looong time to start, when I used 2206 I had a huge starter and at 50° there was no explosive ferment it started a small krausen quite soon after pitching but it never got over 3/4" high I also pitch the starter a few degrees below my target ferment temp, and the wort is also a few degrees low as well.

65F currently.. Pulled it out a little while ago to see if i could get some activity..

Should i take it down to 50F and just be patient?

I'm probably making some people cringe with the mess i'm making. :)

65F currently.. Pulled it out a little while ago to see if i could get some activity..

Should i take it down to 50F and just be patient?

I'm probably making some people cringe with the mess i'm making. :)

I have never made a lager, that will be my next batch. However, 65 is a bit high. I would try to gently bring the temperature down if you can. Wyeast lists a range for that strain from 46 to 58 degrees.

With lagers, you'll see long lag times in general over what you see with ale. You also should for optimal results:

1. Pitch a huge starter.
2. Aerate very well.
3. Cool to lager temps, then pitch.
4. Be patient... lagers take time and don't typically exhibit the crazy fermentation you will sometimes see with an ale.

Also note that cold liquid will hold more CO2 that warm liquid. This means it will take longer for the liquid to become saturated with CO2 and for the airlock to start bubbling.

Back