Beersmith conversion question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prrriiide

Reaction score
Smokin cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo
When converting AG recipes to PM recipes in Beersmith, do you just steep any grains that aren't extracts? After conversion, the recipe still lists the mash sched but doesn't say anything about the steeping. I assume that you can just throw all of the grains in the same bag and steep them all for 30 min or so at 160? Or do different grains require different steeping times and temps? That seems to be getting into AG territory there, and I'm not ready to go there just yet.

Question - What is the difference between steeping @ 150f for 30 minutes vs. mashing for 30 minutes @ 150, having seen reports of 15 minute conversions from some HBT'ers?

You might not get all of the possible gravity points out of your base grains, but I doubt the grains care whether they are being mashed or steeped.

Anyone?

Question - What is the difference between steeping @ 150f for 30 minutes vs. mashing for 30 minutes @ 150, having seen reports of 15 minute conversions from some HBT'ers?

You might not get all of the possible gravity points out of your base grains, but I doubt the grains care whether they are being mashed or steeped.

Anyone?

There's not a big difference at all. Just monitoring temperature closely and lautering the new wort off the grain. but that can easily be done with a grain bag.

well...yes, pretty much.

If you're dilligent about monitoring your temp, use enough to make it worth your while and account for the fermentables in your recipe.

Then you're good to go.

You can do an iodine test to make sure you're converted if you're worried about it. I usually don't. Generally if the wort is pretty clear and sweet after an hour you're good to go.

also, a bigger bag than is usually used for steeping grains will help expose more of the grain to water, which should get you more fermentables/efficiency.

Back