Belgian Wit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
I just got done brewing this kit from my LHBS and I checked the OG before pitching. My readings were 1.031, checked twice. According to the recipe they have online my OG should be 1.062. Fermentable ingredients, from the recipe, are 8lbs Alexander's Malt Extract. I was given 2 3.3 lb cans of Munton's Wheat Extract. I am wondering if the extract in the recipe is different form what I given since I was given 1.5 lbs less that what was called for.

Is the only thing effected by the low OG going to be ABV or will it have a impact on the taste. Low ABV I can live with, but if it's going to affect the taste should I add some more fermentable sugar at some point?

What was the temperature of your wort when you took your gravity reading? You still should have hit around 1.050 with what you were given.

Temp was 74 F. So my OG would be more like 1.032, but still no where it should be.

I also added 0.25 gal more than called for. I am not sure that little bit of water is enough to throw off the OG.

The most common problem I've seen with extract is when people mix water, it tends to throw off the hydrometer reading. If you don't mix it extremely well, you might get a wierd reading.

I wouldn't add anything to it, but that's just me. With a belgian wit, I doubt you'll notice a huge taste difference.

The most common problem I've seen with extract is when people mix water, it tends to throw off the hydrometer reading. If you don't mix it extremely well, you might get a wierd reading.

Just got through to LHBS and that's what they think happened. When I topped off the fermenter I didn't stir it up thinking they pouring action would be sufficient. Thanks for the responses.

It is very difficult to get your wort and top up water thoroughly mixed. It is also near impossible to miss OG with Extract. You will get what the amount you used calculates to. You're hydro sample was mostly just water.

Back