Edwort's Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawats

Reaction score
So, I dropped in five gallons of apple juice with wine yeast in it in mid Feb. It is still fermenting slowly (based on the ticking sound I hear from the bubbles when I listen to it), but clarifying on schedule as indicated in the original Edwort's post.

I plan to leave it for another month, or thereabouts, and then bottle it (probably 1/2 carbed, 1/2 not). However, I am concerned that at about four weeks, the smell emanating from the top is still somewhat reminiscent of rhino farts.

Anyone else have experience to offer?

--Jonathan

My first and only batch (about to start a second, though I may cut the sugar addition in half for a more mellow drink) started with the farts after about a week or so I think but they did last for some time. For me it was a steady smell that lasted for some time but wasn't really really bad (some people talk about their neighbors smelling it, but I actually had mine in my bedroom and was able to deal with it fine, it was only noticable for a couple days, unless I stuck my nose in the airlock).

I moved it to my garage to finish up after a month, and let it sit there in the cold for another month and a half or so, didn't bother racking. It had a bit of a stink to it up until a couple weeks before bottling. But it's great now. Unless it's really bad i don't think there's anything to worry about.

Oh, FYI, i used EC-1118 instead of Montrachet, just what was available to me, in case that makes a difference and I used a bit of yeast nutrient (a very small amount, looking back i probably ought to have not bothered or added more).

Cheers,
B_B

I've got my first batch going right now and it has that fart smell, but only when you put your nose to the airlock. I had trippel that did this for a week and it came out fine.

Yeast nutrient works wonders.... if used in the recommend amount you will experience no "rhino farts"

My first and only batch (about to start a second, though I may cut the sugar addition in half for a more mellow drink) started with the farts after about a week or so I think but they did last for some time. For me it was a steady smell that lasted for some time but wasn't really really bad (some people talk about their neighbors smelling it, but I actually had mine in my bedroom and was able to deal with it fine, it was only noticable for a couple days, unless I stuck my nose in the airlock).

I moved it to my garage to finish up after a month, and let it sit there in the cold for another month and a half or so, didn't bother racking. It had a bit of a stink to it up until a couple weeks before bottling. But it's great now. Unless it's really bad i don't think there's anything to worry about.

Oh, FYI, i used EC-1118 instead of Montrachet, just what was available to me, in case that makes a difference and I used a bit of yeast nutrient (a very small amount, looking back i probably ought to have not bothered or added more).

Cheers,
B_B

B_B,

Thanks! I do only detect it with my nose on top of it, so there ya go.

I have it in about 60 - 70 degree basement now, where it's been going for a little over a month.

-J.

Yep That stuff stinks, Just started mine last Saturday.... I hope it taste as good as others say it does.

Fermented mine in a hot condo starting in August and I added yeast nutrients. No rhino farts whatsoever and I have tasty Apfelwein on my second tap. Pretty darned good after 6 weeks even.

For those of you who use yeast nutrient, can you tell me how much you used?

When I'm reading recipes that call for it, for cider and apple wines, I am reading 1 tsp/gallon. I'd like to compare that with what you used, especially if you didn't have rhino farts.

I'm sure the lady of our house will thank you, as will I since no rhino farts would mean much less friction when I planned a second batch :).

Have made three 5 gal batches now, added 1tsp/gal nutrient each time when mixing. Ferminted in the extra bedroom next to the MB, and no smell that I noticed at all. Not that I go out of my way to stick my nose against the airlock every day, tho.

Started my first batch 1-29-12 and have had no evil odors as far as I am aware, but SWMBO and I left town three days later - the airlock activity was boiling briskly by then - so may have had odor during that week, don't know. When we returned, the bubble rate had subsided markedly. No objectionable odor since. Now, thirty-two days into the process, only an occasional bubble, and clearing nicely. Only difference with Edwort's recipe is cane sugar rather than corn. Am being patient, but looking forward to tasting it in a couple weeks.

Back