Irish Car Bomb Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so where kind of talking about a fortified beer here? One thing you might want to try is making a imperial milk stout with around a ABV 10% when fermenting half way thru lower the temp of the beer to a lager range and add lager yeast to the batch this helps with the creamy flavor then add a whisky syrup when done. this syrup is sold at Midwest supplies for there non-distilled liqueur kits all they are is a kit with turbo yeast and a little bottle of flavoring to make it taste like whisky or rum or what ever.

so where kind of talking about a fortified beer here? One thing you might want to try is making a imperial milk stout with around a ABV 10% when fermenting half way thru lower the temp of the beer to a lager range and add lager yeast to the batch this helps with the creamy flavor then add a whisky syrup when done. this syrup is sold at Midwest supplies for there non-distilled liqueur kits all they are is a kit with turbo yeast and a little bottle of flavoring to make it taste like whisky or rum or what ever.

My intent (and I think others also) was to try to get the flavors that you get with an irish car bomb without the high alcohol and mixing of drinks.

I just wanted some of the chocolate/cream/Jameson in a easy drinking stout. ABV was the least of my concern. I'd be surprised if mine surpassed 7%. From my initial tasting, I'm guessing it is in the upper 5, low 6% range. This allows the flavors to come out more without so much of the alcohol hotness. I'm also hoping that it'll be in good shape for St Patrick's day :)

My intent (and I think others also) was to try to get the flavors that you get with an irish car bomb without the high alcohol and mixing of drinks.

I just wanted some of the chocolate/cream/Jameson in a easy drinking stout. ABV was the least of my concern. I'd be surprised if mine surpassed 7%. From my initial tasting, I'm guessing it is in the upper 5, low 6% range. This allows the flavors to come out more without so much of the alcohol hotness. I'm also hoping that it'll be in good shape for St Patrick's day :)

So, how was the initial tasting???

Does this beer have hollywood supermodel potential or is it more of a last second prom date consolation prize?;)

So, how was the initial tasting???

Does this beer have hollywood supermodel potential or is it more of a last second prom date consolation prize?;)

Well, right now, the only test I've got is uncarbed and around 50-55 degrees. I'll tell you though, that pint picture I held up disappeared quickly though. Right now, I'd rank it right in around a 7-7.5. It might have too much sweetness for some, so I took a point off for that. It's not like Southern Tier's Creme Brulee stout, but you can tell it's a milk stout.

It's been in the bottle for a little over a week now. I'll probably try cracking open one at the end of the week to see how it's coming along.

Well, I've now had a chance to sample my Irish Car Bomb Stout (recipe below). It's good, but it didn't quite hit the mark for me. The base stout (without lactose, etc.) is smooth and easy-drinking with a hint of coffee. However, the Irish Car Bomb Stout (with all the additions) is not a dramatic change over the base stout. It is a wee bit sweeter with some dark chocolate in the aftertaste (and maybe just a bit of a tanginess). The whiskey flavor is just at threshold. It's a pleasant sweet stout, but it doesn't quite capture the Car Bomb flavor. For testing purposes, I made an Irish Car Bomb using the base stout and compared it to my own version, and it wasn't sweet or creamy enough.

When I do it again, I would increase the lactose and maybe the crystal malt, too. I may also dial down the chocolate a tad. If I were a bigger whiskey drinker, I may up that some as well.

I'm going to brew this one up tomorrow. Here's my final recipe:

7.5 lb. 2-row
1 lb. crystal 60
.75 lb. black roasted barley 500L
.25 lb. chocolate malt
2 oz. Williamette (4.8%) @ 60 minutes

Yeast: Nottingham

Mash at 150 degrees.

At bottling time, I'll bottle half of the batch as-is. I'll add a potion to the other 2.5 gallons, consisting of:

1 to 2 cups whiskey (still need to do an experiment)
4 oz. de-oiled chocolate pieces
1/2 oz. vanilla extract
1/2 lb. lactose

I'll post my tasting notes (of both the plain and the souped-up versions) as soon as it is ready!

This was very insightful... Anyone else have any results they'd like to share with us?

Chemnitz - I'm looking to brew this for the guy who got me my kegs for keggles. Any tips you'd add for someone like me who's not familiar w/ an actual irish car bomb? (Besides - drink up ;)

I don't have too many tips to give out, since my experiment was okay at best. As you see in the post above, I was disappointed with the results, and they did not improve with age.

So, you can try some of my advice above. Basically, if I made it again, I would want more creamy and sweet and less coffee and chocolate.

HA I was totally thinking about this today so you read my mind. I was thinking about brewing this next. People say it taste like chocolate milk so just add whiskey.

I'm fascinated by this thread. If we were looking to increase the whiskey taste without increasing the ABV, couldn't we take more Jameson, boil off some of the alcohol and pitch more whiskey in the fermenter to get a stronger Jameson flavor?

I don't know how to handle the need to make it creamier, would more lactose do it?

So I've brewed an extract batch of my version of this beer.

I made a generic base irish stout. When it came time to bottle, I took a bottle Jameson and (thinking of the greater good) boiled it for 25 minutes, which reduced it significantly. I then used a Bailey's syrup vial from the ideas above and let it carbonate. The flavors are coming out more as it ages. It's smooth in the mouthfeel, and the Bailey's is expressing itself more and more. However, the whiskey flavor is pretty much non-existant. The ABV is about 6 with the whiskey factored in, but maybe this beer needs some of the burn that whiskey brings. Thoughts?

SO SAY WE ALL! :mug:

Ha. I probably deserve that. If it helps, I was feeling terrible and conflicted the whole time. I'm going to try again, but add the Jameson at bottling time and see if that helps. I'm not worried about upping the ABV. The beer tastes good but needs that burn to really mimic the shot.

In 5 weeks we are having our Annual Irish Olympics party so I had to get moving!

I took an all grain clone of Left Handed Milk Stout and tweaked it a tiny bit in BS for an extract brew. LHMS is one of my favorites and it's got a lot of depth in it. I taste a nice combination of chocolate milk, roasted barley, tiny hint of coffee and nuts, maybe a illusion of Irish Cream Liqueur already there so in my book it's pretty close to an Irish Car Bomb in beer form but it just has a lot more flavor! It is "lacking" the Jameson so I will consider adding about 2-4 sticks of chopped and soaked vanilla in 1-2 cups of Jameson to the secondary.

Im just worried about having the vanilla or Jameson come through too much or not enough. It would be a shame to screw up such a good clone beer. Based on this new thread it seems 2-3+ cups per 5 gallon batch of Jameson in the secondary, maybe a little oak, and say 3 sticks of chopped dried vanilla sticks. Thoughts?

Here is the BS recipe (That Actually got brewed):
Irish Car Bomb Milk Stout - Extract Converted - DME Base
Sweet Stout

Type: Extract
Date: 3/1/2011
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 3.25 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (4 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 55.56 %
1.00 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.99 %
0.8 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
0.8 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
0.6 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.45 %
2.5 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.5 IBU
1.5 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9.24 %

(1) White Labs California Ale WLP001*

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.072 SG (Wow why such a change?)
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.### SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.43 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: # %
Bitterness: 23.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 39.7 SRM Color: Color

Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

*NOTES: LMK If you want my full notes but they are on paper so I would have to put into BS (I wish they had a good log and an Ipad app).

UPDATE:
Actual OG: 1.072!
I did NOT do a starter and I am having thoughts I should add another vial of the yeast strain. Any thoughts here folks?
UPDATE: I went ahead, knowing the possible risks, and just pitched another WLP001 yeast tonight (21 hours after the first). I did already get some krausen bit figured I would rather risk oxygen problems than all the other potential problems of under pitching considering the "time constraints". I'm just getting into brewing a bit more seriously and feeling the pressure for our big annual party and want to have some nice beers on tap to enjoy. So I would like to be drinking this from a keg in 38 days so it's already a rushed stout... Besides at this point I'm experimenting and it taught me a few important lessons.
1. Relax have a home brew...
2. ALWAYS DO A STARTER OR PITCH TWO YEASTS!
3. Think ahead and get a nice pipeline going.

I have made two attempts at it now. (I'm not going for an exact portion of the shot, but I'm shooting for the taste of the Irish car bomb). I'll just illustrate my trial and error so far.

I first tried using a basic irish stout and added vanilla & jameson = epic fail. It wasn't a terrible beer, but it wasn't anywhere neer that taste I was shooting for.

Second, My attempt was to make it creamier, and have less of the jameson burn. So what I did was take a recipe that would get me started in the right direction (I took the left handed milk stout clone listed in the recipes here) and I upped the lactose sugar from 1lbs to 1.5 lbs. To mimmick the baileys. Next, I used 3 oz of immatation vanilla extract. For some reason immation carries over to the final prodect better. And lastly, I soaked 4oz of boiled oak chips in about 8oz of jameson for 3 weeks. And then added that to the secondary and soaked for 2 weeks.

I was pretty happy with that result. It didn't have the burn and it was a pretty good tasting brew that had a hint of an irish car bomb. If you're looking for something that's going to knock you off your bar stool my attemp isn't for you. but it should be a push in the right direction.

Let me know what you find out

Ok…crazy stuff going on…first resurrecting this thread!!! :)
I decided to start with the clone recipe for Left Hand Milk Stout.
My OG was off the charts…1.092!!
Sugars are:
7.0 # Amber LME
.75 # Munich LME
1.0 # Lactose
Was boiled for 60 mins. 5 gallons of wort. What could I have possibly done wrong? Is there any way this is going to get to an expected FG of 1.018??

Any word on this?

Well no one replied to my question regarding the high OG.
When I moved it to secondary, the gravity was 1.022...close to the expected FG. If the OG reading was correct, that puts the alcohol content at 9.98%. Yikes! I'm all for more alcohol :drunk: ...I just hope it doesn't ruin the taste.
I plan to bottle it in the next couple of days and will take a final reading then. Will also add the Jamesons and vanilla.
Can't wait to try it!!

Right on! Hopefully its not too dry with the high abv. None the less, id love to try this one! Got my amber ale in the bottles and damn its turning out great! And my high abv "buzz-e-bee" ale in the secondary clearing its self out right now too. Let me know how she turns out!

Has anyone found an excellent recipe for this, that is an extract version that taste great?

Was wondering if any of these attempts at the car bomb stouts came out with positive results. I just brewed a batch of the Coopers Irish Stout extract kit, and was looking to make something offbeat and different. I read on the can it called for 500mg of dextrose, but was given 1 kg it the kit. So, thinking more sugar is more alcohol, i went with it, and poured it all in. And added a cup of light brown sugar, cause my wife has two bags in the cupboards, just for S&G's. Through reading a multitude of threads on this AWESOME site, I get that pretty much anything goes when brewing a batch of beer. I am going to add some chopped up vanilla bean stalks that I am going to soak in a cup and a half of Jameson's for a couple days and see if that turns out. I have 5 more days before fermentation is done. I have a batch of Coopers Lager in the bottles for just a week when this one goes into the secondary. :rockin: Any feedback would be great and thanks. :mug:

Well...life got in the way and finally bottled it this last Sat. I think I may crack open a couple on Thanksgiving. I'll let you know then.

Well...life got in the way and finally bottled it this last Sat. I think I may crack open a couple on Thanksgiving. I'll let you know then.

Well...the eeatly tasting at Thanksgiving...not so good. Wasn't carbonated enough nor was it very tasty.

Had a couple more this last weekend...and much better. Vanilla is defintely there with just a hint of the whiskey in the cheeks. Hoping that it gets even better with a little more time.

Happy Holidays everyone!!!

So I'm looking to attempt this this weekend with an Irish Stout Kit I bought last weekend. I bought Jameson and Vanilla Extract for secondary fermenting. Any thoughts on this? Should I add anything?

Specialty Grains
.75lb Roasted Barley
.25lb Black Malt
.25lb Chocolate Malt
.50 Crystal Male

Extract
3 lb Briess CBW Pilsen Light DME
1 lb Briess CBW Traditional Dark DME

Hops
1oz Cascade Pellet

Yeast
1 packet Danstar Nottingham

Based on a LHBS recommendation, I've got a 375mL bottle of Jameson soaking in with a vanilla bean I sliced up and some oak chips to add to the secondary. I figure I'll let it soak for a week or so and add it when I transfer to secondary.

When did you add the Vanilla, I'm planning on brewing on Sunday. Luckily I can play around with a bunch of post-primary iterations from the many 1 gal Carboys I've collecter over the past year.

I cut up the beans and am soaking them in Jameson. I will be adding it to the secondary later today.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Car Bomb

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Sweet Stout
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 2.5 gallons
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Efficiency: 75%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.08
Final Gravity: 1.023
ABV (standard): 7.46%
IBU (tinseth): 36.7
SRM (morey): 40

FERMENTABLES:
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Dark (56.07%)
0.75 lb - Milk Sugar (14.02%)
0.5 lb - CaraFoam (9.35%)
0.4 lb - Caramel / Crystal 60L (7.48%)
0.4 lb - Roasted Barley (7.48%)
0.3 lb - Chocolate (5.61%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Golding (AA 3) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Golding (AA 3) for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Aroma

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
3 oz - Vanilla Beans, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary
2 oz - Whiskey, Type: Flavor, Use: Bottling
4 oz - Whiskey Soaked Oak Chips, Type: Flavor, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
White Labs - Irish Ale Yeast WLP004
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 71.5%
Flocculation: Med-High
Optimum Temperature: 65 F - 68 F

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2012-02-02 19:57 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2012-02-02 19:55 UTC

Based on all of the recipes I've been reading this is what I have come up with, the Vanilla Beans I will most likely soak in Jameson as well as the oak. Depending on how it is tasting at bottling I'll make a decision on the additional Jameson. Will be brewing this weekend for sure

I sought out to do an interpretation of the Irish Car Bomb based on the many recipes and thoughts expressed in this thread. Statistics and metrics are unavailable as I consistently fail to take adequate notes on my brewing adventures. Here’s my down and dirty; adjust to your needs!

Extract 5 Gallon Recipe

The Boil…

Specialty Grains: 8 oz. Black Malt & 8 oz. Caramel Malt 80L

In 3 gallons of water, steep specialty grains at 155 degrees for 30 minutes, remove, and bring to boil

Fermentables: 6 lbs. Dark LME

Flavor Addition: 1.5 lbs. Lactose

After boil, remove from heat and add fermentables and flavor addition, stir while adding to prevent scorching and to ensure fully dissolved, return to heat, and bring back to boil

Hops: 1 oz. Northern Brewer

At boil, add hops (in nylon bag), and boil for 60 minutes

The Primary…

Yeast: 11.5 grams Safale US-05 (Dry)

Cool wort, pour into primary fermenter, aerate, pitch yeast (rehydrated), seal, and wait 2 weeks!

The Secondary…

Flavor Addition: 2 oz. Liquid Pure Vanilla Extract; 2 oz. Liquid Oak Essence; 1.5 oz. Cocoa Nibs

Gently rack wort on top of flavor additions, seal, and wait 2 weeks!

The Bottling…

Priming Sugar: 5 oz. Priming (corn) Sugar

Flavor Addition: 750ml [minus a shot or two :cross:] Jameson Irish Whiskey

Boil priming sugar, let cool, and add to bottling bucket, add flavor addition, rack beer on top, gently stir, bottle, and wait 3 weeks!

The Result…

AMAZING beer that doesn't disappoint! Dark, roasted sweetness (chocolate and vanilla flavors) with notable hints of oak and (not overpowering but yet noticeable) Jameson Irish Whiskey!

I bottled in 22 oz Bombers [get it :rockin:] with black caps. Brewed for a St. Patrick’s Day party…however, I will be keeping some in reserve for my private consumption!

Back