Alpha Acid Testing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abstonhops

Reaction score
my husband and i are new growers and are in our second year of growing several different strands of hops in the ohio valley. just found this wonderful site today!!

is there anyone out there who can help with knowing who to send hops to for laboratory analysis of the alpha acid content??

if you know the species you are growing there is often a pretty good range you can expect as a result. If you go and get it tested because it needs to be EXACT, remember to facto in it's age as it tends to decrease with time.

or just experiment and figure on getting similar results in following years

Has anyone used this service? The site looks pretty basic, but with the right equipment, I imagine you could do this testing in your basement.

Why someone would have this equipment in their basement is another story all together!

I was just wondering if it was all legit.

I was just wondering if it was all legit.

Legit as in... Someone has rented a house and set up an illegal hops testing laboratory in the basement?

or

Legit as in... They might take your money and run?

-----------
Assuming your question is about 'illegal basement chemistry services', I wouldn't worry to much. Most of what we do here might be considered strange basement chemistry.

Assuming your question is about 'not performing services as described', I also wouldn't worry. 1. There are a number of laws about fraud and theft, and a number of avenues to pursue. 2. The price advertised is both reasonable for a technical service performed on a tracked/inventoried physical sample, and above the range of 'impulse shopping' ($9.95 or 3 for $19.95, etc) for Chemistry Services.

Latest posts

Back