Forgot to boil priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drang

Reaction score
1st time home brewing - Rogue Dead Guy Ale extract clone. Moved from primary to bottling bucket and then bottled last night:

I just dumped in the pack of priming sugar before siphoning into the bottling bucket and then stirred it around a bit. I noticed when I bottled that each bottle had a decent bit of sediment in the bottom. Not sure if this is the sugar or other stuff, but wondering since it has been 24 hours, should I: 1.) Shake the bottles up and try to dissolve it, 2.) Boil another pack of the priming sugar and open all bottles and pour a small amount of it in each bottle and recap, or 3.) Do nothing?

Depending on what I do, how long before I can start drinking this?

thanks

+1
I'm sure the sugar got dissolved into the beer just fine while racking onto it.
And let it sit a minimum of 3 weeks in the bottle before saying "Oh no, It didn't carbonate!
And when you pour leave 1/4 inch or so in the bottle after pouring slowly. THat sediment will be yeast and you won't to drink it. Unless it's a hefeweissen.

The sediment is bits of sugar and yeast, a millimeter or so is normal, you can shake it but there is no reason. Try not to stir it up when you pour your brew.

I noticed when I bottled that each bottle had a decent bit of sediment in the bottom. Not sure if this is the sugar or other stuff, but wondering since it has been 24 hours, should I: 1.) Shake the bottles up and try to dissolve it, 2.) Boil another pack of the priming sugar and open all bottles and pour a small amount of it in each bottle and recap, or 3.) Do nothing?

How long did you ferment in primary, and then condition in secondary? I've found a majority of my beers will still have sediment/ floculants form pretty quickly when I've siphoned to secondary. But then when I've gone to bottle/keg, it stays pretty clear. Boiling sugar helps keep everything santitized, and can help with dissolving.....but as long as you stirred enough, the sugar still should have dissolved. If you see sediment in every bottle, I would be weary about trying to add more sugar to the beer.....you run the risk of overcarbonating. I would probably wait at least a couple of weeks and then try opening a bottle. If it's flat, then you can worry and tinker with it some more :D

I didn't use a secondary at all. It was in primary for 7 days. I thought most of the information here in the sticky thread was saying that secondary was unnecessary for most beers, but I may have been looking in the wrong place. Is it purely a cosmetic difference? For the people who do secondary, is there a link to a post that shows factual information on what it does for the beer?

thanks

You do not have to use a secondary. 7 days is not a particularly long time to allow for your beer to ferment and clarify. I am sure it will all work out but you may have more sediment in your beers then you would like.

I usually go with the 1-2-3

1 week primary
2 weeks secondary
3 weeks bottle conditioning

for higher gravity brews you may want to expand on the bottle conditioning as well as the length in secondary.

Boiling not only helps dissolve the sugar but it also kills any nasties from infecting your beer. Since there is nothing to do about it now, I would suggest waiting the 3weeks and testing one. Just make sure you smell first so you don't end up drinking some nasty infected swill.

Back