Adding water to fermented and ready brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knewshound

Reaction score
I made a Pils and was not expecting the amazing jump in efficiency that I got due to crushing my own grains.

Rather than 1.050 it was 1.068.

It finished at 1.08.

Can you say Imperial Pilsner?

It is a bit much to drink.

I had bottled a few before I sent it away to be lagered and it is drinkable but VERY strong and a bit over the top,

I am about to transfer it to keg after lagering it for 2 months and I would love to thin it out a bit.

Advise anyone?

This is a new one on me.

Cheers,

knewshound

adding water will make it taste watered down. you should add water before fermentation is heavily underway, so it can be part of the chemical conversion process.

at this point, you'd be better off brewing a couple gallons of the same brew, with a lower gravity, and mixing the two.

Well, I am talking about "watering it down" to 1.050, a normal Pils range.

Are you talking about an off flavor?

A 7.5% Pils NEEDS to be watered down, it is kind of nasty as is.

Brewing another batch is not on my agenda I'm afraid.

No time.

This sucks!

Cheers,

knewshound

knewshound said:
I made a Pils and was not expecting the amazing jump in efficiency that I got due to crushing my own grains.

Rather than 1.050 it was 1.068.

It finished at 1.08.

Can you say Imperial Pilsner?

It is a bit much to drink.

I had bottled a few before I sent it away to be lagered and it is drinkable but VERY strong and a bit over the top,

I am about to transfer it to keg after lagering it for 2 months and I would love to thin it out a bit.

Advise anyone?

This is a new one on me.

Cheers,

knewshound

Sara,

You need to reach down and make sure you still have a pair.

Just kidding.

No but seriously,..... you should just drink it.

Back